My main rig went dead a couple of days ago

lhuser

Golden Master
Like title says, I had a problem with it. I left it on when I left to a friend's house and when I came back, I found it off, and wouldn't turn on.

Flip the switch at the back of PSU and flip it on again, and it turns on.
Not a PSU issue. Problem is...it POSTs...to a blinking dot...literally.

So I did these:
Removed GPU
Removed all stick of RAM but one, and reseated it
Clear CMOS

Still wouldn't do anything. I also smelled a burnt scent...and that's not good.
So I thought my board was fried...but physically, it shown no apparent sign of damage.

Well, yesterday night, I removed all HDD SATA plugs on the board...and glory...it posts! So now I have to find the culprit All but one drive wasn't spinning...the dead drive is...the Hitachi Deskstar. So I take it out, and with all the horrors that I found...this is the result:

dscf0974m.jpg

So, all my data is gone...hope it wasn't the drive with all the stuff I downloaded...oh God no! Unrepairable...burnt through PCB. So...either I replace PCB and get it running or just throw it out...but I'm buying new HDDs anyways.

I wouldn't bother trying to get it repaired - it could've fried anything when it went and there's no guarantee it'll work if you just swap the PCB out.

Better learn from it and start more regular backups if it's data that you needed...!

Well, I do backups, and that I don't worry. My real important data is always kept also elsewhere. Downloads, I can redo them.

Oh that? Yeah, I'm aware of it, but since it was mostly of just to talk about it, and just give your thoughts about it, I found it better to just post it here. Actual opinions for a piece, problems and the rest, that needs some knowledge digging, I put them where they are. Everything else, like news, and some random rants and to just tell what happened, like in this thread, I put them here...sound more social to me...but it's just my point of views....

I gotcha. Based on the response got from Berry120 I though you were actually looking for help. Your original post was also in a grayish area, but that's alright. It's all clarified now ;)

Sorry if it brought confusion...I try not to confuse people out either.
Anyways, I need to get new HDDs anyways...

Given though to SSDs? They're expensive, but might be cool to have a 32GB for OS/apps (unless you like to litter your PC with apps).

Back
Top Bottom