AMD Phenom II X4 965 vs. Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650

Half Evil

Golden Master
What do we think? No doubt the AMD is a great processor for cheap, but is it up to snuff with the Intel?

Would the Intel be worth paying the extra price tag for?

They are around the same performance wise.

Both platforms suck up around the same amount of power.

The 9650 does overclock a bit better (All are E0).

Personal preference IMO, although there is better multi-GPU support on mid range boards with the AMD platform.

i dont get it, surely intel would call it the Core 4 Quad, not the Core 2 Quad. weird.

and on topic, ive never had a bad experience with AMD processors, so my personal choice would be to go with the phenom.

but as mentioned before, the intel does overclock better.

I love AMD, I'm not an overclocker as of now, but if you are then it is definitely worth it to get the Intel. If overclocking isn't a big deal then go with the Phenom.

I'd get the Phenom. The C2Q is on LGA 775, which is being phased out, while the Phenom II line is on AM3, which is still fairly new and will be around for a while.

I'd get the Phenom. The C2Q is on LGA 775, which is being phased out, while the Phenom II line is on AM3, which is still fairly new and will be around for a while.

Very true. There are more x58 and P55 boards out now than there are for LGA 775. Sadly though, since LGA 775 is great mid-range/budget platform for people who can't spend $1400 on a new Core i7/i5 build like me.

Just because something is being "phased out" doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. Old doesn't make it slow. You can still pick up an LGA775 board with DDR3 and multiGPU support. The 790i for SLI, the x48 for CrossFire. And those are just a few options. If you have plenty of money and want to buy some of the best - then go with a newer build such as an I7 on the 1156 or 1366 platform.

Back
Top Bottom