Need a PCI -> SATA Card...Which one?

Well, picking up a SATA card onl offers more ports, and to my dismay, is more reliable than the onboard ones...and the onboards are already reliable...so my guess is for extra ports. Oh and RAID options from its BIOS.

Glad you could figure that out :p

Grandmas getting an upgrade..:D

Well, picking up a SATA card onl offers more ports, and to my dismay, is more reliable than the onboard ones...and the onboards are already reliable...so my guess is for extra ports. Oh and RAID options from its BIOS.

Wait? Did you mean to say "isn't more reliable". I didn' completley piece that one together?

At any rate, though, I won't be doing RAID on this system for my server, so the only reason I was going to get a SATA/RAID card was to be able to use my SATA HDD in the system. If it turns into something serious down the road, then I'll just get a better system and a maybe a decent RAID card (not a cheapo Rosewill like I was planning to get for $20). For now, onboard SATA will work just fine since I'm not doing any RAIDing.

Grandmas getting an upgrade..:D

Well, actually a bit of a downgrade if she goes from a 775 to a 478 CPU. And I might steal back 1GB of RAM. But who the heck needs 2GB of RAM on a 'puter that's ONLY used to browse the internet...with DIAL UP. :D. She won't care. Ha. (maybe you were being sarcastic when you said that thought, hence the ":D").

What I meant by more reliable is that the SATA cards are a little more tougher than onboard ones, but the onboard chips are still tough enough. The only advantage to it is that if you buy a card with an OS installed to that card, you could have the availability to switch PCs, since the controller stays the same.

I was being kind of sarcastic. Everytime you change something, they sometimes thinnk it's an upgrade.

What I meant by more reliable is that the SATA cards are a little more tougher than onboard ones, but the onboard chips are still tough enough. The only advantage to it is that if you buy a card with an OS installed to that card, you could have the availability to switch PCs, since the controller stays the same.

Yeah, but only with RAID do you need to be concerned with switching PCs if your ports/onboard controller lets loose. I'm just going to be running a 40GB IDE drive with the OS/server on it, and then a 750GB SATA drive with the data that will be shared. I kinda planned ahead on that, I guess you could say. That way, if I ever wanna switch OSes, I don't have to worry about my data. I can just throw whatever onto that 40GB IDE drive and go from there. This won't be about speed, per se, anyways. I'm more or less looking for something universal to connect all PCs to and stream around the house. Won't be doing much else with it.

I was being kind of sarcastic. Everytime you change something, they sometimes thinnk it's an upgrade.

Most people would think that, but not my g-parents. When I upgraded them from an old Dell (P4 478, 256mb RAM) to the P4 775 with 2GB of RAM system now, they thought I was giving them crappy parts. Hahahahahah!

Well, if you use the card, you wouldn't worry.

Well, looks like your G-Parents has the reverse effect. Interesting...:D:p

Back
Top Bottom