wiring

jetsmell

In Runtime
I would like to use my computer in another room , keeping the tower where it is. This would involve hooking up about 25 feet of wiring for the key board , wireless mouse, etc. Is there a coupling that I can install near the tower , that would enable me to switch over without unpluging all the time. Is this idea feasible?

You won't be able to run cables that long from a computer to another room. And you won't be able to run monitor cables that long unless they are s-video or hdmi. VGA just won't work that far away.

What is the problem with moving the tower to the other room where you want to use it?

You're pretty much limited to one room with a desktop. If you want to go to different rooms then a laptop is what you should be using.

VGA just won't work that far away.
25 ft is fine for VGA. You might get a bit of noise starting to appear if you run it by power cables and such like, but it should work.

That said, I really wouldn't recommend it. In this day and age there's really no reason to either - why not just use two PCs? Or if you don't want to do that, use a thin client and connect to the other remotely as suggested above?

Yeah, for as much a physical "wired" setup would cost (which the OP described), you'd be better off buying a cheapo netbook and running a remote desktop. I mean, what are netbooks going for now? $200? Just nab one of them. As long as it has a wireless connection (and you have wireless internet), that'd be a great way to go.

Back
Top Bottom