AntiVirus for Ubuntu 9.10

I think the biggest reason that there are so few viruses for Linux is that the people who make viruses would rather make them for a much more popular operating system.

I think the biggest reason that there are so few viruses for Linux is that the people who make viruses would rather make them for a much more popular operating system.

Exactly. I know this sounds stupid :rolleyes: But I am working towards my Eagle, and I am taking the Computers Merit Badge right now, and we learned about viruses: the Counselor said exactly what you just said :p haha.

What's up with all these weird names??
Gentoo sounds pretty cool I think. Geeks like to think up weird and cool names ;)

I don't deny that - it is pretty much definitely the biggest reason there's so few linux viruses around. What I'm saying though is that's most definitely not the ONLY reason. For the reasons I've stated above, if linux was faced with the same number of viruses windows is faced by it'd still be much more resilient.

Gentoo sounds pretty cool I think. Geeks like to think up weird and cool names ;)

I don't deny that - it is pretty much definitely the biggest reason there's so few linux viruses around. What I'm saying though is that's most definitely not the ONLY reason. For the reasons I've stated above, if linux was faced with the same number of viruses windows is faced by it'd still be much more resilient.

And yes, I agree with you on Gentoo haha.

And I agree with you for Linux too! I can't wait to install it :D

Anyway, I hope I don't screw anything up and I hope it works on the first try!! (what are the chances of that, anyway?! lol) :p

Anyway, I hope I don't screw anything up and I hope it works on the first try!! (what are the chances of that, anyway?! lol)
Both depend on what distribution you go for. Pick Gentoo and the chances will be exceedingly high of you screwing up, and pretty low of everything working first time. Pick Ubuntu and they're pretty low on you screwing up - most things should also work out of the box. If you've got some more elaborate or unusual hardware that may take some tweaking, but for the most part it should just work.

Both depend on what distribution you go for. Pick Gentoo and the chances will be exceedingly high of you screwing up, and pretty low of everything working first time. Pick Ubuntu and they're pretty low on you screwing up - most things should also work out of the box. If you've got some more elaborate or unusual hardware that may take some tweaking, but for the most part it should just work.

okay, great!

do you think I need an anti-static wrist band? or would that just be overboard?

do you think I need an anti-static wrist band? or would that just be overboard?
Eh? Anti static wrist bands are things that protect hardware components from potential static damage if you touch them... they're of no use or relevance when installing software.

Back
Top Bottom