$$ Burning a hole in my pocket...things to buy?

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, I've just built my friend a computer, and I'll bank about $400 off of it in the long run. I've also had a busy few weeks fixing computers and have about another $150 to add in to that (plus other money I'm sure I can scrounge up if needed). I'd like to make some big purchases (well, big in MY regards) before college starts again in February.

Here's what I'm looking to get.
1) 120GB iPod Classic or whatever it's called now, since my 30GB isn't big enough anymore.

2) A new digital camera. I'm thinking a Sony, but I'm not sure yet. I'll need some input here later.

3) A setup so that I don't have to take my 42" TV back to college. We have cable in all dorm rooms, and I also have a DTV converter box that I want to use (because there are some wicked sweet HD channels that broadcast over air in the city I go to school). I'll need stuff to help with that. I'm thinking 01001010 (J) might be able to help me with that a little if he sees this. I'm not sure how I want to go about this yet. I'm leaving my desktop at home (otherwise I'd just get a tuner card...and please don't recommend one for my laptop's USB port...they are all pretty sucky), so I want to have a monitor at home, so I might be purchasing a new monitor (I need a new one for my work station anyways; I'm working off of a crappy 15" HP flat panel that just blows for resolution). I'll probably snag a 19", but maybe a 22" if the price is right. It'd be kinda nice to use with my lappy at college, too. We'll see. I'm least concerned with all of this.

4) A loop machine for my guitar/vocal setup since I'm a one-man band. This will come in handy because I want to start learning with it and then play in coffee shops in my school's city. I figure it'd be something new/exciting to incorporate into my routine. Not sure who all plays guitar here (I know Rohan does for sure), so idk who has experience with these things. I'm thinking of going with a Digitech one...it's around $250 or so.

Any advice on any of this? Warnings/cautions? Go-aheads? Other ideas? Just figured I'd throw it out there before I dump my wad of cash.

3) A setup so that I don't have to take my 42" TV back to college. We have cable in all dorm rooms, and I also have a DTV converter box that I want to use (because there are some wicked sweet HD channels that broadcast over air in the city I go to school). I'll need stuff to help with that.

Are you looking to get a new television?

No. Sorry, I should have clarified. What I want is a second computer monitor, and then I want to hook it up as a TV (when I'm at my dorm).

Why? Well, because when it's not going to be in use in my dorm room (4 months out of the year), I'll need it as a work bench monitor in my computer shop or for a dual screen setup with my desktop (probably not the latter, though).

I'm not sure HOW much I'm going to use it as a TV, that's why I want to go with a monitor instead. That way, if anything, I'm only out what I spent to convert the cable and DTV signals to VGA instead of purchasing a small TV and being out that whole price (since TVs aren't usually the greatest computer monitors.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, or is even possible. If it's not, that's no big deal. I usually only watch about 3-5 hours of TV per week (I really like to watch football and NASCAR which is all live stuff; movies I just watch straight from my computer).

EDIT: See, the whole point of this is to save room. With my 42" in there, I had to have a TV stand and that took up a lot of space (it's a double occupancy dorm room, of course). With this new setup (barring it works), I could put that right on my desk (plenty of room and saves space) so that I can put a chair in my dorm room (where the TV stand was), along with my guitar equipment.

Sound won't be a problem, I can just split together the L and R audio from the converter box (which I still need to look at) and use headphones or plug into my stereo.

Would would be the cheapest option to get decent resolution? I suppose an actual TV, huh?...hmmm. Bummer.

That adapter would be decent enough. If you want high definition content delivered to your monitor, you're going to need a high definition set top box from your cable provider.

Well, see in the city I'm in, there are about 10 HD channels that are broadcast over the air (digital; free). That's why I asked. None of the cable channels are in HD, obviously.

See, you're in the same situation as I am with the new monitor I bought. Both don't have tuners, so both won't be able to display over-the-air signals - whether that be high definition or standard definition channels.

You're going to need a high definition external tuner to relay over-the-air signals over to your monitor. I'm not sure how much that'll cost, but it just might be worth it to simply buy a smaller television.

Okay, well shoot. Not the answer I was looking for, but you are most likely correct and I appreciate all your input, J. I might just hold off on the whole idea for a while then rather than wasting my money. I'll research it a little bit later tonight and if I find anything relevant, I'll let you know!

EDIT: Something like this.

However, I haven't found much for them. Since most HDTVs come with a built-in tuner, these puppies are pretty spendy, and from what I've been reading, aren't all that great. I think you are right. Probably cheaper just to get a smaller TV if I want it. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom