Build Guide for Teens

Mow lawns and shovel snow. It'll be a lot faster. Figure $20 at a time, it'll only take you a few snow storms to make your money.

Mow lawns and shovel snow. It'll be a lot faster. Figure $20 at a time, it'll only take you a few snow storms to make your money.

Haha, true, true. I even live in Michigan! Problem is, everyone in my neighborhood has snowblowers, I don't, and everybody in my neighborhood is my age (and I mean EVERYONE!) and they're all going for that. I need to figure out something I can do that nobody else can...

I think that iPod thing sounds fun (for me). I can learn even more about how things work before I build a computer, and I can even continue that "business" afterward, too!

I heard of people who have very little technology background fixing up iPods they find on eBay, and making serious profit out of it. And, I bought a friend's before and repaired it, sold it, and made about $80 out of it for simply 30 minutes of repair time.

Haha, true, true. I even live in Michigan! Problem is, everyone in my neighborhood has snowblowers, I don't, and everybody in my neighborhood is my age (and I mean EVERYONE!) and they're all going for that. I need to figure out something I can do that nobody else can...

I think that iPod thing sounds fun (for me). I can learn even more about how things work before I build a computer, and I can even continue that "business" afterward, too!

I heard of people who have very little technology background fixing up iPods they find on eBay, and making serious profit out of it. And, I bought a friend's before and repaired it, sold it, and made about $80 out of it for simply 30 minutes of repair time.

I don't want to crush all your hopes and dreams, but there are a LOT of people already doing that on eBay, too. And most have a LOT of feedback. It's very hard to start out on eBay when you have no business experience. It's better to keep things at a physical level (i.e. not selling online) until you have some demand in some way. Before you know it, a few mistakes later and you've lost all the money you thought you had to start your business and you're left with nothing.

yah i3 is cheaper and its a mean cpu overclock like a bitch but a quad is good for multithreaded things

I will have to figure out what CPU works for my needs.... I am still trying to figure out if I should just invest more money, get a really powerful gaming machine, but spend more and risk it and possibly waste all my money because of static or a PSU blowing up! <<these things scare the living crap out of me!

MB
CPU if you will be OCing and gaming in the future or this CPU if you will be running multi-threaded apps
RAM
HDD (or keep that one you initially found for $50 that was a 500GB, I don't care)
DVD
CASE
PSU

Total is around $415 give or take with shipping and after rebates.

I really am not sure why you are so concerned with this if you aren't building until March. Everything will be vastly different by then. Why don't you just save your money and build it then?...

Actually, I was just planning on updating this is often as I could, and to get feedback while I WAS saving my money. I don't care if it's what people consider "settling for such low end parts", when it really isn't that horrible. It will work, and everything is upgradeable! (DDR3 and AM3) So, I don't see a problem there.

The RAM is exactly what I have, except more expensive, diff brand, and 2 sticks instead of one.

Motherboard looks really nice! Might consider that one! Thanks!

I'm going to keep my HDD...

I will consider your suggestions into account for the motherboard and CPUs. Especially if they'll go down in price when I finally have enough money saved up.. (having a hard time doing this!)

Case and PSU, I've got this worked out. However, if I really do make some serious money fixing those iPods, I might invest more in a quality case and PSU. (Even though the one I have will work and is reliable -- the PSU at least --, I might want my case to be better built and look cooler than this)

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you think the 17" monitor will go down in price? Because it's at 60 right now!

I don't want to crush all your hopes and dreams, but there are a LOT of people already doing that on eBay, too. And most have a LOT of feedback. It's very hard to start out on eBay when you have no business experience. It's better to keep things at a physical level (i.e. not selling online) until you have some demand in some way. Before you know it, a few mistakes later and you've lost all the money you thought you had to start your business and you're left with nothing.

Well it's not technically a business! (i put it in quotes!) I didn't mean it like that: it's not a repair service. Instead, it's finding broken iPods on Craigslist from stupid people who are too lazy to buy a $20 new LCD and sell it ignorantly for $80, and make a nice profit until I have enough money for a computer build.

It does seem to me that people here are pushing the "if you get a cheap PSU it WILL blow up" line - which is simply untrue.

I know! It's stressful, and it makes it seem like I'm doing this for nothing, because it will blow up! I will invest in a better PSU, though. I changed that in one of my recent posts and the very first post.

yah people like to string the truth (just made that line up) i used a powersupply that came with my case for about 3 years nothing happned

Actually, I was just planning on updating this is often as I could, and to get feedback while I WAS saving my money

That's fine, but people will lose interest fast if you aren't going to order anything. If you've noticed, the attitude in this thread has gone a little sour because some of us (including me) don't think you are taking some of the things we say seriously (I'll address that momentarily.

I don't care if it's what people consider "settling for such low end parts", when it really isn't that horrible.

The build that I put together is a quality build. People are telling you that you are settling for low end parts when you start saying you don't care about what your PSU is. Get something quality. I mean, really, are you going to waste your money by risking all of your components on a cheap PSU? Even if it DOESN'T take out any thing else when it decides to give way/blow, it'd be cheaper in the long run if you buy a quality one to begin with.

It will work, and everything is upgradeable! (DDR3 and AM3) So, I don't see a problem there.

There isn't a problem. But you should get something halfway decent so you have some usable time (time to use whatever you buy before it becomes old and slow) to save up some money to upgrade again. It's why I recommended what I did.

Motherboard looks really nice! Might consider that one! Thanks!

I just put it in my friend's build. It went down in price. It's a wonderful, and beautiful motherboard.

I'm going to keep my HDD...

That'll be fine.

Case and PSU, I've got this worked out. However, if I really do make some serious money fixing those iPods, I might invest more in a quality case and PSU. (Even though the one I have will work and is reliable -- the PSU at least --, I might want my case to be better built and look cooler than this)

Unfortunately, my friend, you don't have that worked out until you consider a quality PSU.

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you think the 17" monitor will go down in price? Because it's at 60 right now!

No. Prices on monitors have been holding steady for quite some time. You could always just grab a $5-10 CRT somewhere to hold you over til you have money to purchase a flat screen. It's another purchase that I'd suggest saving up for so that you can get a very nice one, instead of wasting $60 and then wishing you didn't buy it 6 months later.

Well it's not technically a business! (i put it in quotes!) I didn't mean it like that: it's not a repair service. Instead, it's finding broken iPods on Craigslist from stupid people who are too lazy to buy a $20 new LCD and sell it ignorantly for $80, and make a nice profit until I have enough money for a computer build.

Things don't always go as planned.

you could always sell things for cash i sold my ps3 and xbox 360 for 500 and bought myself a computer make sacrafises

The build that I put together is a quality build. People are telling you that you are settling for low end parts when you start saying you don't care about what your PSU is. Get something quality. I mean, really, are you going to waste your money by risking all of your components on a cheap PSU? Even if it DOESN'T take out any thing else when it decides to give way/blow, it'd be cheaper in the long run if you buy a quality one to begin with.

Things don't always go as planned.

Yes. I did notice the sourness.

I didn't say it wasn't quality! I liked it. I think I'll stop posting if it's making people angry :-/

I am getting something quality. If you didn't just jump to conclusions you would have seen what I said! I'm selling the one that comes with my case, and buying a new Ultra LPS series one, that I have heard many good things about.

I'll come back in 2 or 3 months, when I have the money I guess.

Yes. I did notice the sourness.

I didn't say it wasn't quality! I liked it. I think I'll stop posting if it's making people angry :-/

I am getting something quality. If you didn't just jump to conclusions you would have seen what I said! I'm selling the one that comes with my case, and buying a new Ultra LPS series one, that I have heard many good things about.

I'll come back in 2 or 3 months, when I have the money I guess.

No, that's not the message I was trying to send.

Stick around and read other threads while you are waiting. When you have questions, come back to this thread and ask them. There's no such thing as a dumb question. Well, unless it's something you can easily google to find haha. We want you to stick around here at CF, we always enjoy new members!

Back
Top Bottom