She finally went kaput

Did you let it run for a while? Usually, I leave mine on overnight just to be safe. However, whenever I find that RAM has failed, it's usually evident by flagging errors within about 5-10 minutes.

If you're RAM test passes, then we are stuck with the hard drive.

One thing, and this is a biggie depending on your setup. I once worked with a computer a few weeks ago in which I needed to clear the BIOS. What happened was the HDD reverted back to a different setting (I can't recall what it was), but I had to turn it back to IDE/SATA (maybe the setting got set to SCSI on CMOS clearing...I'm just brain farting now, I'm sorry I can't recall what this was). Anyways, because it was set wrong, as soon as windows started loading, it would pop a BSOD.

Alrighty I'll wangle around in the BIOS and check. It's a Dell though so most of the crap is locked...

Dells normaly have that option.

I'd check out the hard drive. Download Ultimate Boot CD

That is a CD with a lot of diagnostics to test hard drives, RAM, partitions, and more. It's a necessity for all IT techies, I say.

Burn to disc and give it a try.

Look for HDD Diagnostics, under Hard drives or something. Can't remember the exact text.

Back
Top Bottom