Build Guide for Teens

ANY part is susceptible to over-volting. Most can withstand up to 12.9-13 before they completely die. Most will suffer PCB issues at 12.65+

True, true. Looks like you have pretty good parts :D

I have crappy parts, on the other hand :)

Wouldn't my PSU not blow up if I'm not pushing/overclocking my system? I mean, I will only turn it on for like 3 hours a day, maybe...

Doesn't matter.

Capacitors are the parts that fil most often in electronics, and time is what usually kills them. Not heat.

Other than that, the problem is heat, and your system should reach full temperature on all components within 2-3 minutes.

Do NOT cheap out on the PSU. It can kill your motherboard very easily, and I've hear of graphics cards, hard drives, optical drives, and CPU's being fried. Basically your entire rig. You should not pay under $50 for a PSU, pretty much no matter what.

BTW just so u know mine was $225. $50 isnt much...

Any suggestions, then? :D

ANY part is susceptible to over-volting. Most can withstand up to 12.9-13 before they completely die. Most will suffer PCB issues at 12.65+

Doesn't matter.

Capacitors are the parts that fil most often in electronics, and time is what usually kills them. Not heat.

Other than that, the problem is heat, and your system should reach full temperature on all components within 2-3 minutes.

So, what do you recommend without me spending a fortune?!
:confused:

Wouldn't my PSU not blow up if I'm not pushing/overclocking my system? I mean, I will only turn it on for like 3 hours a day, maybe...

Let me try and straighten this one out :)

First off - you could get any old PSU you want and if its specs are up to scratch, you'd be pretty darn unlucky if the thing went wild and blew up every component in your PC. It does seem to me that people here are pushing the "if you get a cheap PSU it WILL blow up" line - which is simply untrue. A lot of people I know have cheaped out on PSUs and been absolutely fine, even when they've thrashed their boxes 24/7 with overclocks and drawing near to the maximum current.

However, there is no doubt that cheap, unbranded and / or badly built PSUs are far more likely to go up in smoke than better ones. I do know of a few people who have bought cheap PSUs and they've blown spectacularly, taking hundreds of £'s worth of components with them. They weren't necessarily thrashed, they weren't necessary running overclocks and they didn't have the machines on 24/7. The power supplies were just badly built and as such gave up pretty quickly.

On the other hand I don't know of anyone who's had a reputable PSU and had it go up in smoke at all - so with that in mind I'd suggest spending a bit more on it as an insurance mechanism more than anything else.

Because I don't know what parts you've decided on, please list them so we can try to find a suitable but low priced PSU.

Because I don't know what parts you've decided on, please list them so we can try to find a suitable but low priced PSU.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - $62
Motherboard: ASUS M4A77TD Motherboard - $80
RAM: Corsair Value Select PC10600 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz - $50
PSU: Ultra LSP450 450-Watt PSU - $20 (-$20 for selling bundled PSU)
HDD: 500GB SATA Hard Drive - $50
Case: Apex SK-378 Mid-Tower Case - Part of Bundle ($35)
Disk Drive: LG GH22NP20 DVDRW Drive - $30
CPU cooler: Apex SK-378 Mid-Tower Case Fans - Part of Bundle ($35)

TOTAL: $327 (including rebates!)

EXTRAS (that I need):
Wireless Card: Sabrent PCI-G802 PCI Wireless Card - $15
Keyboard and Mouse: S520 cordless Keyboard & mouse - $30
Monitor:
17 inch 1740 LCD Monitor - $70
Speakers: Cheap Speakers- $10

TOTAL: $125

COMPLETE TOTAL: $452 (including rebates!)

Let me try and straighten this one out :)

First off - you could get any old PSU you want and if its specs are up to scratch, you'd be pretty darn unlucky if the thing went wild and blew up every component in your PC. It does seem to me that people here are pushing the "if you get a cheap PSU it WILL blow up" line - which is simply untrue. A lot of people I know have cheaped out on PSUs and been absolutely fine, even when they've thrashed their boxes 24/7 with overclocks and drawing near to the maximum current.

However, there is no doubt that cheap, unbranded and / or badly built PSUs are far more likely to go up in smoke than better ones. I do know of a few people who have bought cheap PSUs and they've blown spectacularly, taking hundreds of £'s worth of components with them. They weren't necessarily thrashed, they weren't necessary running overclocks and they didn't have the machines on 24/7. The power supplies were just badly built and as such gave up pretty quickly.

On the other hand I don't know of anyone who's had a reputable PSU and had it go up in smoke at all - so with that in mind I'd suggest spending a bit more on it as an insurance mechanism more than anything else.

Okay... any suggestions for the build I spoke of above? ;)

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS ONE?!
LINK

Ultra LSP450 @ TD That should all easily run at about 350 watts so 450 is perfect for a simple GPU upgrade in the future. It has plenty of amperage on the 12V+ and plenty of connections as well. Plus it has sleeved cables? You can't beat that for the price. Maybe OCZ can. They've been having a lot of deals.

ThermalTake PSU's are ok...but not their lower end ones. They are a bit shaky from what I've heard. And the OCZ one would be cutting it too close on wattage. Plus, you can only take advantage of one rebate per person, per household.

Back
Top Bottom