My rig died....

foothead

Omnicide now.
So I was just playing gmod, nothing intensive or anything, and my computer spontaneously turns off. no errors or anything, just boom off. I go to boot it back up to diagnose and it won't do anything. I am sure i didnt blow a circuit breaker or anything, and I have checked the plugs with other things, they all work. The little light on the mobo that says it is getting power is no longer on so either my mobo finally died or my PSU blew (though it didnt smell like smoke or anything, and it wasnt hot)

How can I test the PSU without having to remove anything from the case? It is obscenely hard to get anything out of there with my liquid cooling system, and to get the PSU out I'd have to have EVERYTHING removed first. All I need to know is if it is providing power or not.

damn i hope this psu isnt dead.... that'd make it impossible for me to buy my new graphics card cus a new 1000w power supply is gonna run $250+.

Doesn't your PSU have a warranty? Isn't OCZ a 3 year?

Can you at least UNPLUG things? If you can unplug the 24 pin, 4/8 CPU pin, SATA connector/Molex Connector, and GPU connector, you can text it with a multimeter by jumping the PSU with a bent paper clip. You'll want to connect the green wire on the 24 pin with any black wire. You have to keep them connected, so fold the paper clip so that it stays in the two pin holes. You won't get zapped. Low/no voltage present between the green/black connector.

No problem. When you test the leads, the Yellow wires are always 12v, the red are 5v. You should get around 12.26 for the 12v and 5.17 or so for the 5v. At least, all the PSUs I've tested (only a few I guess) have come out right about there. And, I'm not really sure what you should test on the 24 pin. Try to google it and see. WAYY too many wires...

Also, PSUs don't need to smell. It could just have shorted out and needs servicing. They don't blow up and smell all the times. My mother's old PC had that too.

It's always a good idea to test each type of voltage. Make sure your multimeter is set to read DC power.

EDIT: And I definitely understand what a PITFA it is to remove a fully assembled loop. I plan to buy some Koolance VLN's next time I have the loop disassembled for cleaning. I suggest you purchase something of the same nature for your GPU and CPU lines. That makes it quite a bit easier.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I had a migraine... ugh.

Anyways, it looks like the PSU is 100% dead. I wasnt able to get it to start. I bought the thing secondhand, is OCZ's warranty transferrable?

Back
Top Bottom