She finally went kaput

Yeah. Write down the error code next time. If it just flashes the blue screen and then restarts, go into your BIOS and disable "restart on errors" or something like that. Can't remember what it says exactly.

Also, you should run a memtest. If you only have one stick of RAM, you're going to have to (since you can't rule out another stick as faulty).

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer.

bunch of bs and instructions

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007e
(0x0000005, 0x87120c21, oxf7918c48, 0xf7918944)

That looks like a typical BSOD to me? What do you mean, foothead? It never really tells you specifics.

Can you boot into safe mode? Hit F8 at startup to boot into safe mode and see.

no, there is some more stuff in the middle though.

My boot sequence:
bios stuff
windows spash (the black one)
boot selection (black with boot normally, last known good config, and safe mode, safe mode w/ cmd prompt, safe mode w/ networking0

Any choice leads to bsod

It usually says something like 'SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED'

according to M$ its driver related though so you should be able to get into safe mode.

well ill try booting to safe again then

results:
When I boot into safe mode it displays that list of files really quickly like normal, but it gets stuck on windows/system32/giveio.sys

Okay, so that pretty much rules out a driver corruption (unless it was a very basic driver).

So we're pretty much down to bad RAM or a hard drive error. Run a memtest. If you don't know how, I'm sure we can walk you through it.

It usually says something like 'SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED'

according to M$ its driver related though so you should be able to get into safe mode.

Oops. You are right. My bad. I completely forgot about that. It will usually tell you the file that it has trouble with, as well. Could be a .dll or .sys file, right? It's been a while for a BSOD on my end...

And yes, about the driver thing. That's correct.

Back
Top Bottom