RAID 1 with fresh install. Anything specific I need to know?

Theoretically, there is a small gain in read performance because the data should be read across both of the disks (as long as they're both working) similar to in RAID 0. This doesn't apply to writes though for obvious reasons.

Without wanting to sound like a boring lecturer, I'd also throw in there that while RAID 1 reduces the risks, it's not a replacement for backing your important data up!

I know that it does reduce the risks. But see, I'd rather have it that way because backing up your data still isn't any good if you don't do it (like me). I back stuff up and then I forget to keep it up to date. I keep all of my important records and files in multiple places, and I usually burn myself disks if it's stuff that's real important that I need to make sure I have a hard copy. Thanks for the input Berry, I appreciate all of your guys' input.

Okay folks. I'm going to be hopefully doing this tonight if I get a response.

A) I'll be going with RAID1. Why? Because someone mentioned that I should just do RAID0. However, the time I theoretically save (which won't be much) will be negated with the time I spend backing crap up all the time. So, I'll still back stuff up from time to time, but RAID1 seems to make more sense to me.

B) However, with that said, maybe I'll do RAID0. Indecisive? Sorry. The thing is, I've got 2-Seagate 750GB drives. I could RAID0 those instead, then throw one of the 1TB WD Blacks in my external and it would be perfect for backing stuff up (1.5TB of data on RAID0 to backup to a 1TB disk. It would be fine because I won't be backing up all 1.5TB of date).

Okay. So let me think this through again. I can either:

1) RAID1 the 2 - WD Caviar Black 1TB drives and not worry so much about backing stuff up.

2) RAID0 the 2 - Seagate 750GB drives and backup data to one of the 1TB WDs.

I'm really torn. I feel like by RAID1ing, I'm wasting a whole drive and the performance gain, but at the same time, I want reliability (no, don't suggest another RAID configuration, I'm done making big purchases for a while). I'm going to be doing some serious home recording and editing coming, and I think I'd rather want to feel secure than speedy. And, either way I'm "wasting" a drive on backups...it's either going to be "wasting" it easily (RAID1) or wasting it by it being a PITA (RAID0 backing up to my external all the time).

I think maybe RAID1 should be what I go with. Thoughts?

Here's the question, what stripe size should I run?
I know NOTHING about RAID, so I don't even know where I set the stripe size...BIOS? I was thinking of going with 128KB. I'll be doing music recording and editing, along with Photoshopping. So basically, it'll be larger files. Here's how I came to that conclusion -> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/394/1.

Thanks guys.

I'd personally do the RAID0 after seeing how well it performs in my rig. There is a way to set up SB RAID so it would do RAID0 with the first 500GB of each drive, and then it'll use the 1TB as a backup (effectively a RAID10) so there's something to consider.

I did 128KB for my first RAID array, but when the OS crashed (windows...)I went back and did 64k and it seems to be slightly faster.

Go with RAID 1 or RAID 0+1 (paritied stripe)

If EITHER drive crashes and burns in 0, the whole array is fubar.

I'd personally do the RAID0 after seeing how well it performs in my rig. There is a way to set up SB RAID so it would do RAID0 with the first 500GB of each drive, and then it'll use the 1TB as a backup (effectively a RAID10) so there's something to consider.

I did 128KB for my first RAID array, but when the OS crashed (windows...)I went back and did 64k and it seems to be slightly faster.

Go with RAID 1 or RAID 0+1 (paritied stripe)

If EITHER drive crashes and burns in 0, the whole array is fubar.

Thanks fellas, but I always thought RAID 0+1 had to involve 3 or 4 drives? I can really do it with 2? As long as I come out with 1TB of space, that'd be fine.

How would I do what foothead is describing? Also, any more input on stripe size?

I have decided I definitely don't want to go with RAID0. Too much to mess with if something happens. So it's either gunna be RAID1 or RAID 0+1.

0+1 will require 4 drives of the same P/N. Stripe size is completely pendant on the drives uses.

Bah. Well 4 drives is out then. Even if I wanted to get that many drives, I wouldn't have enough SATA ports.

Like I mentioned, I'll be working with audio recording and editing, along with photoshop. I frequently use my computer to backup customer data (Customer hard drive -> USB -> Burning discs). I do some gaming, but I don't consider myself a gamer whatsoever. I go on little streaks of gaming. I'll find something I like and play til I beat it and never touch it again. Except for GTAIV, which I still need to complete, but I need a new GPU first. Ugh.

I'm thinking since it'll be mid to large files I should go with 64 or 128KB stripe size (all of this is from what I've read).

Also, we've just come to the conclusion, then, that it'll be RAID1. Even if I was feeling risky enough to do RAID0, like I mention, I just wouldn't see the benefits because I tend to use my laptop a LOT more than my desktop. Especially since I'll be heading back to college soon. I mean, I use my desktop when I come home for weekends and when I'm on break (4 months of the year). It just isn't worth it. Quality > speed (for my situation).

BIG EDIT: From a brief google search, it looks like that I can do 2 stripe sizes when I partition my drives. I'll be doing a 200GB partition for W7 (yes, that's large but my Vista partition ended up at around 140GB or so) and then allocating the rest to files/documents all that good stuff. What would be the optimal stripe size for W7? I'll probably do 128KB for the rest of the drive.

2nd EDIT: So after making a fool of myself I realized that I don't think there is a stripe for RAID1, right? Since it's mirroring. Wow. I feel like an idiot.

3rd EDIT: Got it working. Setup the RAID in BIOS. Went with 64KB stripe size, though, I'm not sure if it even mattered (it might have only applied to RAID0, not sure). Booted the W7 disk, partitioned it how I liked (did a 150GB for the O/S, rest for data) and installed. Once done, booted PartedMagic just to make sure they were mirrored...and yup! They were. Went extremely easy. Thanks for all the help guys. It's much appreciated. I feel a little more secure now running RAID1. But, as always, I do know to back up my most important data.

Back
Top Bottom