wireless problem

matthewnunn

Beta member
hello, if possible can i have some help. i have a sky netgear router, as you probably know the signal isnt that good and 10 metres away you have limited signal. can you confirm if i buy a ethernet cable, like 40 metres then buy and wirelesss access point and put it in my room, i will be able to get wireless in my room? and how do i get them working together? if that isnt right, what do i need to do? cheers
matt:confused:

you would not need an access point you would need a repeater i think.
Or can you not just use the ethernet straight into the computer.

I might have more suggestions but didnt quite understand what your said.

basically my router is in my kitchen but i cant get and wireless signal into my room for my latptop or xbox360, so i thought that if i got a long ethernet cable and connected a wireless access point to it then i would be able to get the internet at the other end of the house? am i right or what do i need to do?

can anyone help me? can anyone tell me if im right or wrong?

Well, technically you are right. An access point connects to your network via ethernet cable and then broadcasts the signal wirelessly. I'd highly recommend instead that you get a 2 ethernet cables so that you can just run them from your room to the router. This will be the most reliable way. How far away is your room?

Ethernet cables are good for 100m without the need for any repeaters or sorts, 40m will definitely be fine from a length perspective. You've really got 3 options here:

1) Run one length of cat5 and plug a wireless access point into that
2) Run two lengths of cat5 and plug your laptop and xbox straight into them
3) Run one length of cat5, whack this into a router in your room and then run cables from that router to your xbox / laptop.

In all honesty I'd recommend option 3 - you won't get quite the same connection speed as you would with option 2, but it'll be much more flexible - you can have the best of both worlds and run wireless / ethernet cables in your room as you see fit. There's also the advantage that if someone turned the main router off, the devices in your room could still communicate with each other.

I'd go with #2 or #3. If you're thinking of buying an Access Point, you might as well just get a wireless router.

I'd just buy a new wireless router, a better one. How far away is your room from the router? Access points cost almost as much as routers.

Also, is there any way you could move the router to a more central point in the house? (assuming it's not in a good location)

I'd just buy a new wireless router, a better one.
It's not always quite that simple - some big, old houses with lots of heavy metal pipework and thick, brick walls cut out wireless signals a lot more quickly than you might think. True I wouldn't expect this problem with an N based router, but working along the G front this isn't an unknown problem at all.

Moving the router to a more central point may be something to consider though if you haven't already - though obviously this isn't always brilliantly feasible.

It's not always quite that simple - some big, old houses with lots of heavy metal pipework and thick, brick walls cut out wireless signals a lot more quickly than you might think. True I wouldn't expect this problem with an N based router, but working along the G front this isn't an unknown problem at all.

Moving the router to a more central point may be something to consider though if you haven't already - though obviously this isn't always brilliantly feasible.
That's true, I didn't think of that. I was assuming that it was just a pos router.

Well, if you have money to get rid of, send it to me.

Or you can get the Powernet 200. Google it, ebay it.

I have 6 computers in my house now. Two are wireless, three are in my room,and one in my brothers room. I have a 50ft. Network cable going to my room to a wireless router. The three computers are hooked up via a cable and we now have two wireless access points (our house isn't that big... so we don't really need two). As for the connection, you don't notice a real difference. When all three computers are on doing something on the internet (games, some demanding)it seems the same as a computer not connected to the router in my room and a computer in my room.

But yes, there is a difference between a cable and wireless. If you're just looking stuff up, wireless. If you're playing games or watching videos, I would go with a cable :p

-Q

Back
Top Bottom