Hard drive crashed please help!

You can get an adapter cable for about 20 bucks. I think it would be worth a try if you have a lot of important information you want to keep. Since the OS is on it, I don't know how it would read it.

Plus it might come in handy in the future.

Whatever you do, if you do go down the freezer route make sure you seal it in a bag first! You'll get condensation on the drive otherwise which will make things far worse.

A linux livecd is a good thing to try if you haven't already. If all else fails then it's worth trying chkdsk just in case it does anything - bear in mind though that this might well make things worse rather than better if it overwrites / wipes the wrong stuff, so treat it as a last resort. If all else fails it's really unlikely to do much anyway.

Still - at least you understand the importance of regular backups now right? ;)

Originally posted by berry120
A linux livecd is a good thing to try if you haven't already. If all else fails then it's worth trying chkdsk just in case it does anything - bear in mind though that this might well make things worse rather than better if it overwrites / wipes the wrong stuff, so treat it as a last resort. If all else fails it's really unlikely to do much anyway.

Still - at least you understand the importance of regular backups now right?

I tried running an ubuntu disk as a live cd, got it to boot, but when I accessed the "file system" drive I couldn't see anything other than the linux files. I'm not very familiar with ubuntu so I may not have been looking at the right drive but I wasn't able to see anything that looked like my original files.

If you have a good resource on where to get more information on ubuntu and/or using a live cd for file recovery I would appreciate it.

Also it's not my drive it's a friend of mine that I'm trying to do a favor for. (also the reason I don't want to buy anything if I don't have to)

Thanks
-GVSS

Back
Top Bottom