need help building a htpc

In a entertainment center or behind one.......one more question could i be able to control it from the computer in my bedroom???

In a entertainment center or behind one.......one more question could i be able to control it from the computer in my bedroom???
Yup, with the right software you should be able to log in and control it wherever you are.

However, another advantage with MythTV is that you can use MythWeb as a front end and control everything via a web browser - neat :)

would i have to update everything often?
What do you mean? Once you've got it set up the box should be pretty maintenance free. You can run updates as and when you want to - but it's not a huge requirement if your box is stable enough already.

sounds great ,,,,, is what is the best program to use i really dont want to use Linux have no exp. with it

I'm going to have to look more in to mythweb.

But as far as using your computer as a Tivo.. t may cost moret han 700$ :p

You may chose that 400$ computer, but it's a different story for TV tuners. First of all, if you're planning on watching TV through your computer, or recording for that purpose, you're going to have to have some good TV tuners.

I bought one, I used it for a while and it blew. The quality was horrible. I sent it back, I got one that costed 150$ and the quality still isn't as good as I want. If anyone has a solution, post it. I'm using WinTv.

Now for the recording.. I see Mythweb can set up a scheduel (this is what i'm looking for for my girlfriends mom). I wanted to build a computer that was simply for recording. I would need 3 dual tuners for this computer, because most of the time she records 6 shows simutaniously (they all come on at night). Now, I said 150$ didn't even get me a good quality one.. now imagine more times 3. I looked it up not too long ago and I saw something about a quad tuner.. was expensive.

I don't know if this is along the same lines as what you wanted.

Alss, my girlfriends parents just got a 50" plasma. I hooked up their computer to it, which was bought last year (just to give you an idea of the parts) and was about 1k$. The video card couldn't handle 50" very well... I hook mine up and it was great.

Coudn't handle it well meaning it would lag and couldn't play the bluray movies I put on it to test very well either. I figured it was just the parts, but it's not. It's the card.

Just a heads up! I built my comupter for almost the same reason, I think, that you are. Yes. I can watch TV on it good enough and record. There are some questions that haven't been answered online about TV tuners... I looked for days and asked and no one knew. I finally emailed Hauppauge and they're awesome... they helped me with ALL of my problems. So... hauppauge is a good brand ;) Plus alot of people stand by it.

Disreguard this post if it's not what you're looking for,

-Q

I haven't dealt with a capture card, but do you know the difference between the two? Google it if you don't, I'm about to get off work ;) But basically a capture card captures. A tuner is able to tune in to the TV and also record it. Look it up, I suppose you can get a good card... tuner or capture.

-Q

I have a friend that gave me a old computer yesterday (well used) but i dont know how much i would have to upgrade it

I bought one, I used it for a while and it blew. The quality was horrible. I sent it back, I got one that costed 150$ and the quality still isn't as good as I want. If anyone has a solution, post it. I'm using WinTv.
You may find the problem isn't with your card here. I'm running a hauppauge nova-t usb2, works on windows and linux and the quality is absolutely fine. I got it a few years back and IIRC it was less than £50.

The video card couldn't handle 50" very well... I hook mine up and it was great.

Coudn't handle it well meaning it would lag and couldn't play the bluray movies I put on it to test very well either. I figured it was just the parts, but it's not. It's the card.
Eh? It's nothing to do with the 50" screen - the PC neither knows nor cares what size the screen is. You'll probably find the issue is more with the fact that it struggles with hi def content and/or a higher resolution.

Back
Top Bottom