Need New Laptop

Thanks for the input! Definitely gave me some great advice! I'm still open to whatever everyone else has to offer!

Please keep in mind, you're going to have tradeoffs at this price point if you want a dedicated video card. Tradeoffs are either going to be brand or CPU/RAM most likely.

For the sake of debating with you I'm still going to have to go against what you've said/recommended and say he should still go with the $649 acer.

If he's so worried that it might break he can purchase the 2 year warranty plan for $79 with the total being $729 which is still a good deal.

Bottom line is that no matter what brand he buys there's always going to be a risk of failure, that's the way of electronics.

That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I backed my opinion up with a little bit of research for some other laptops to back up my claims. But, yes, I did not find anything right at $700. But I'd rather a pay a little bit more than settle for something I didn't want (in my opinion). If you are going down the "add this and that" and so forth road, then I'd jump to get the ASUS I posted over the ACER with a 2 year warranty. But, again, that's just purely my opinion.

At any rate, you really do get what you pay for. I would argue that $700 is a throw away laptop...it's a pity, but it's true unless all you use it for is internet and email. $700 will get you a hell of a desktop, but not much of a lappy. It's why I saved up and got myself a Vaio with everything I wanted (~$1500). Granted, not everyone can do that...especially with mishaps, accidents, and the economy in shambles. Therefore, I offered the best I could from my knowledge stemming from owning my own computer business.

I was just trying to keep him in his budget. I agree that if he can pony up a little extra cash, an HP would be a better choice over an Acer. If you want to get technical, they all use pretty much the same vendor for internal components. If you take care and don't abuse your electronics, they all last a pretty long time.

So I think I'm making my final decision soon, not sure if I should still wait :/. Unless anyone has any recent discoveries!

Just get the Acer. It will give you years of good service as long as you take good care of it. It is made by Gateway/Acer/Emachines, which has decent support in case you have any problems. I bought a small form factor Emachines from Walmart for 300 bucks. When I called to register it, I had a real person on the phone within 5 minutes. The internals of nearly every pc and laptop are the same these days. The differences are very minute when it comes to the internals. The Acer is a great value at that price. Good Luck!

There is a major advantage of getting the ASUS from Best Buy. If that laptop every breaks down within the first year, Best Buy will replace it in store for a new one. ASUS gave Best Buy their updated contract of agreement. Best Buy HAS to replace any ASUS laptop in-store, broken or not, for a new one within the first year.

There is a major advantage of getting the ASUS from Best Buy. If that laptop every breaks down within the first year, Best Buy will replace it in store for a new one. ASUS gave Best Buy their updated contract of agreement. Best Buy HAS to replace any ASUS laptop in-store, broken or not, for a new one within the first year.

Those are some skilled negotiators. Man, if I ever buy a laptop, it's going to be an ASUS from BestBuy.

Back
Top Bottom