Problems with new hard drive

graw2

Baseband Member
I bought 2 WD 500gb hard drives and just got them today.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

I installed one as a internal for storage, Everything was going fine. I already have a WD 250gb installed as a internal with the OS on it. I started copying about 90 gigs worth of files from the 250gb to the new 500gb and it was going way to slow. It started around 50mb's and it got down to 6mb's and still falling. So I decided to cancel it, might have been a mistake. Now Windows will not recognize the drive. It does show up in the bios but not Windows. It does not show up in disk management either.

If it just suddenly stopped working then it sounds like a faulty drive. Have you tried the other 500gb?

I have not tried the other drive yet. I got Windows to recognize the drive now but something is still not right. I am copying about 2 gigs of files and it is only copying at 3mb's.

I think it has to do with the 250gb drive. From time to time, it will start making a popping noise. I think it is about to kick the bucket.

What I may try to do is install Windows on one of the 500gb drives and quit using the 250gb drive.

Noises like that aren't good signs. My friend's 500gb Seagate was making similar noises and had frequent hang-ups. We were lucky enough to get his music off of it though.

I'd try what you said. It will allow you to see which one is faulty and hopefully allow you to get your stuff off of it.

Would I be able to setup one of the new drives as an external to get the files off the 250gb then use it as an second internal?

I already have an enclosure.

I assume you talking about the drive that is inside the enclosure? Yes it is SATA. It is one I just bought.

So I would be able to take it out of the enclosure and install it as a second drive without losing the information on there?

Sure. External hard drives are standard computer hard drives, I did it to mine when the USB connector was giving me issues.

I copied some files from the internal 500gb to the external 500gb and it still only copied at 3mb's.

At first I thought it was the 250gb causing it to be slow, now I just don't know.

Thanks for your help.

It's possible. One thing you could do is copy a DVD disc to a 500GB, and then copy that to the external, and do that again from the external to the internal. If they copy fine, then your 250's probably on it's last runs.

You could always download a testing tool via WD's website.

Back
Top Bottom