Fan Headers

bug_n_67

Solid State Member
This is my first build and I had a question about fan headers. I was thinking of buying a ASUS P7P55D Pro motherboard which has 2 x Chassis Fan connector (1x4-pin, 1x3-pin) and 1 x Power Fan connector.
The case I have is a COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC which has three fans in it, one in the front one in the back and one on top, and all with four pin connectors. What is the best way to hook these into the board? Also how do I hook up another fan, if I need to, if there are no more fan headers on the board.

Thanks
John

I see each fan has two connectors one for the board and a molex. Do you use only one of these or do both get hooked up.

Only use one. Also, don't daisy-chain fans off mobo headers or you risk burning them out.

If you want to connect fans to your mobo that use a 4 pin molex then you have to get a converter for it.

Some fans come with two moles connectors, one for powering the fan and another female connector to connect other fans or molex-powered devices. Daisy-chaining refers to connecting lots of fans together, which means more power draw.

No problem. It's not really a problem if you do it off the power supply and don't go crazy with it.

So what's the difference with the two connectors. I take it the one that connects right to the power supply will come on and run steady all the time.
Would you not have more control of the fan that connects to the mobo, rpm speed and only runs when it needs to or does it not work that way.

John

It depends on the motherboard. Some allow you to adjust fan speed based on temperature, or you can set them to run at a fixed speed. Running straight off the power supply means a fixed speed unles you buy a fan controller.

Back
Top Bottom