Need help overclocking my Phenom II X4 B50

culexor

Daemon Poster
I got my new CPU not too long ago and I've already tried a bit of overclocking with a bit of success, but I'd like to push it further with the help of some experts. I currently have a Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition that is unlocked to a quad (CPU-Z recognizes it as a Phenom II X4 B50). All 4 cores are running great, and the CPU has passed over 8 hours of Prime95 (overnight). My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P. I do have an aftermarket cooler (Xiggy S1283), so I should be able to push this thing pretty hard without worrying too much about heat. Currently it idles (at stock clock speeds) a bit below 39C, and gets up to about 47C running Prime95.

I've gotten it up to 3.7Ghz, but it wasn't at all stable. I raised the CPU voltage when I did it, but obviously not to the right voltage. I'm really new to overclocking, so I'm not sure exactly what affects what. My goal is about 3.8Ghz.

When I was @ 3.7Ghz, my FSB was at 200mhz, x18.5 multiplier, cpu at 1.5v, nortbridge at x11 (2200mhz) and everything else was stock.

So basically I'm asking, what should I set my bus speed, voltage, multiplier, etc. to, or how would I figure out what I need to set them to?

My CPU in it's current state (all stock)

(click for validation page)

I will give you these two guides to read:

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=29837
http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=93738

I suggest you read them, but you don't have to. I think, together, they give you a good picture of what to do. You can skip the first one if you already know some strong basics. If you don't want to read them, just post back. I'm trying to see what people feel most comfortable with, so I apologize for not giving you a straight up answer in here. I will check back soon in case you want the short version.

Thanks for the links. I've already read the first one, but the second one was extremely helpful. I get the basic jist of it, I just am looking for suggestions really. Right now I'm at 3.5Ghz, with 17.5x multiplier, cpu @ 1.45v, nb +0.1v, nb 2200mhz (x11 multiplier) and its doing great in the prime95 test (been about 10 minutes so far, so we'll see...)

I tried the same settings but with the cpu voltage set to 1.5v and an 18.5x multiplier and it booted into windows but crashed shortly after. Should I bump up the cpu voltage a bit more or is there something else I should increase as well?

You can bump up the CPU voltage all you want, but you need to make sure the core temperatures are safely within the manufacturer's boundaries during full load. Increasing the VCore will definitely give you some more room, but I highly suggest you find your max CPU frequency (aka "FSB"). If you already have that number, try using a combination of it with a lower multiplier (assuming your RAM allows it). But if you don't want to get into that "complete overclock", I suggest you settle for a 16x multi, and raise the CPU frequency. If you're really worried about your RAM being a culprit, you can try 18x multi. As far as specific numbers, you'd have to ask someone who owns a PII.

Also keep in mind that even if your temperatures are well within check, excessive voltage can kill a processor. The amount of voltage varies by processor though.

I've rarely heard of that happening. The temperature is nearly always the first alert. Plus, you need to consider he's got a VDroop going. And, the motherboard may not even support something past 1.65V (mine doesn't).

Small chance of it happening, but I guess good to be aware.

It's probably more of a concern for people with liquid cooling or sub-zero cooling. With my water setup I could push voltages past what I should (45nm 775 CPU's produce little heat) and still have temperatures within what most would consider acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom