Class presentation tomorrow.

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
I have a class presentation tomorrow. Its a 5 min presentation that I have to do on my own in front of the class about a topic of my choice. The only catch is this week we are focusing on the persuasion aspect of our presentations. Its a speech class.

The topic I think that would be perfect for me is the advantages of building your own PC vs going to DELL.

Since its only 5 min I don't need a lot of material, but 5 min in front of the class, where everyone is evaluating you can look like 20 min.

Can you guys give me some key ideas for this topic please :) Keep in mind this is a persuasion presentation. I build 4 personal computers in my life all of which were high end gaming machines, so I know a thing or two.

Thanks.

Highlight the advantages of building over buying.

Complete customization (Talk about all the different things you can customize & why you would want to)
Ability to overclock components (Talk about the value of buying lower end stuff & overclocking it)
Value (self explanatory)

I'd argue the other way - if you've only got 5 minutes you'll fill that time a lot quicker than you think you will. Personally I'd broaden it out and talk about the advantages of building your own PC versus buying one pre built - that way it won't seem too much like a Dell bashing session ;)

So with that in mind I'd briefly go over the following points:

- Cost (while you have to check because the cost advantage isn't always there, on certain types of machines (higher end / niche markets) you can definitely save money by building things yourself.)
- Academic advantages (by building a computer you learn what different parts you need to get, how they all go together, basic troubleshooting should if fail to work etc.)
- Fun (let's face it us techie types always enjoy unwrapping the latest i7 and slotting it into place for the first time!)
- Customizability / exclusiveness (while some manufacturers will let you put custom amounts of memory / graphics cards / processors in a machine, most don't, and almost none let you specify exactly the components you want. By building it yourself you get it done exactly how you want it without any extra expense.)

yah broadn the subject not just dell cant forget about hp hiding out there
you really cant build a computer for the price of an emachines so better not bring that up
the customization and changing what you want with out worrying about a system warrenty but you still get object warrenty
and definatly talk about about what you earn and how much money you save most of the time.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;999692 said:
Highlight the advantages of building over buying.

Complete customization (Talk about all the different things you can customize & why you would want to)
Ability to overclock components (Talk about the value of buying lower end stuff & overclocking it)
Value (self explanatory)

I'd argue the other way - if you've only got 5 minutes you'll fill that time a lot quicker than you think you will. Personally I'd broaden it out and talk about the advantages of building your own PC versus buying one pre built - that way it won't seem too much like a Dell bashing session ;)

- Cost (while you have to check because the cost advantage isn't always there, on certain types of machines (higher end / niche markets) you can definitely save money by building things yourself.)
- Academic advantages (by building a computer you learn what different parts you need to get, how they all go together, basic troubleshooting should if fail to work etc.)
- Fun (let's face it us techie types always enjoy unwrapping the latest i7 and slotting it into place for the first time!)
- Customizability / exclusiveness (while some manufacturers will let you put custom amounts of memory / graphics cards / processors in a machine, most don't, and almost none let you specify exactly the components you want. By building it yourself you get it done exactly how you want it without any extra expense.)

yah broadn the subject not just dell cant forget about hp hiding out there
you really cant build a computer for the price of an emachines so better not bring that up
the customization and changing what you want with out worrying about a system warrenty but you still get object warrenty
and definatly talk about about what you earn and how much money you save most of the time.

All great points guys!

berry you right, I dont think I should put DELL there. Knowing me I might just go off topic and start talking how bad dell is lol.

I need 1 page outline about what I'm going to talk and all the things that you guys mentioned here will go on my paper :)

Il be working on this on/off all day today, so please keep posting if you have more ideas.

Thanks

I would specifically mention alienware-type PC's though, and explain how building it yourself is better/cheaper than customizing one and having it built for you.

Id have pretty much gone that way , it is only 5 minutes and you will fill it suprisingly quickly
Im pretty sure you got the technical side of this covered and seeing as its more my area i will give you some tips on persuasive speeches

Just a few additions i would certainly maybe make the value aspect relative to the current financial "crisis" as it is being called that we are in . And how in these times people are trying to cut back a lot more on there purchases , making the speech relevant and more up to date you may earn extra marks , and the financial crisis is something everyone understands at the moment is easy to get an emotive and therefore persuasive response from them

this vale aspect should also be made relevant to the custamisation aspect of things is certainly important make sure you emphasise that when you build your own computer you can customise it exactly as you want it so there is absoloutly no waste at all id

Be sure to use metaphors such when describing how easy it is to build your own machine such as easy as piecing together lego , people are very well persuaded by that as it gives them a mental picture and lego is something alsmost everybody would have played with at one point during there childhood so its relative to everyone

if you want to make it a bit different and are allowed props id even take a screwdriver in and open my speech like this
Show the group the screwdriver and be like this screwdriver can be had for a few dollars in a tool store however it could stand to save you hundreds of dollars and teach you a whole new set of skills that will save you even more in the long run and during the economic downturn we are all looking for ways to save money right ...
Then go on to explain how building your own computer saves you money etc etc
Sometimes with stuff like this it pays to be a little bit different might earn you a few more marks for origonality, and illustrating your speech with props is a sure fire way to be different from most of the other speakers who might not have props

Another thing id say is i dont know what format this will be however if it will be acceptable maybe give time for questions , one key method of persuading people is answering there questions about something .

Id have pretty much gone that way , it is only 5 minutes and you will fill it suprisingly quickly
Im pretty sure you got the technical side of this covered and seeing as its more my area i will give you some tips on persuasive speeches

Just a few additions i would certainly maybe make the value aspect relative to the current financial "crisis" as it is being called that we are in . And how in these times people are trying to cut back a lot more on there purchases , making the speech relevant and more up to date you may earn extra marks , and the financial crisis is something everyone understands at the moment is easy to get an emotive and therefore persuasive response from them

this vale aspect should also be made relevant to the custamisation aspect of things is certainly important make sure you emphasise that when you build your own computer you can customise it exactly as you want it so there is absoloutly no waste at all id

Be sure to use metaphors such when describing how easy it is to build your own machine such as easy as piecing together lego , people are very well persuaded by that as it gives them a mental picture and lego is something alsmost everybody would have played with at one point during there childhood so its relative to everyone

if you want to make it a bit different and are allowed props id even take a screwdriver in and open my speech like this
Show the group the screwdriver and be like this screwdriver can be had for a few dollars in a tool store however it could stand to save you hundreds of dollars and teach you a whole new set of skills that will save you even more in the long run and during the economic downturn we are all looking for ways to save money right ...
Then go on to explain how building your own computer saves you money etc etc
Sometimes with stuff like this it pays to be a little bit different might earn you a few more marks for origonality, and illustrating your speech with props is a sure fire way to be different from most of the other speakers who might not have props

Another thing id say is i dont know what format this will be however if it will be acceptable maybe give time for questions , one key method of persuading people is answering there questions about something .

WoW

Muz that was perfect what you just sad. I think I will need to reread this and start taking notes from this no jk. :) The points that you mentioned are the same once plus many others that we are covering currently in class and will need to use if we want to get a good grade. This will be my 3 presentation for the last week, 4 more to go. The way you put this all together and how you tied the current financial "crisis" together, should definitely be a "fancy" way of getting the audiences attention as well as a great start towards persuasion. Than you

All I need to do is time myself now, because this guy has a stop watch that he is using on his Iphone as well as taping us on camera so later we can see ourselves. Not the best video to watch by the way. Will be done with college by the end of this summer, cant wait to get this over with :)

Edit:

Answering questions is a great idea, can easily kill a few minutes, depending on how computer savvy people are, most of the class is girls.

By the way how is this topic, "The advantages of building your own PC".

I always used to hate public speaking even in front of small groups and especially disliked watching vidoes of myself back but since ive started law school its something we are expected to do a lot of and im building up confidence every time i present now really for me it was all down to my preparation i would be nervous and wouldnt want to think about the speech so i wouldnt prepare well but ive since found by preparing and practicing when i do get up to speech i know exactly what i want to say and how i want it to sound from my practice. as for the watching it back aspect im still not perfectly comfortable with that but i dont know many people who are

I thought the financial crisis would be a good issue to hit on as its something everyone is aware of in one way or another and as i mentioned if you can pick up on universal truths when making speeches like this it means the whole class will be engaged as for the value and money saving aspect regardless of the current economic climate everyone wants to save money anyway so theres another universal truth for people

With it only being 5 minutes and the class is an english class where your being asked to speak persuasively id try not to make it overly technical . Try to remember your being marked on persuasive speaking rather than your technical ability

You definitely right about staying away from to much technical stuff. Will need to practice it a few times. What you think about this topic, "The Advantages of a self build PC rather than a prebuilt one" seems long maybe?

Back
Top Bottom