finally drank the jobsian kool aid

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;999655 said:
Well what I get annoyed of is people purchasing stuff knowing full well the capabilities yet still complain about it. Example: you whine about no multi tasking which is widely known. If you wanted to multi task why did you buy an iPhone? It doesn't make any sense to buy something that doesn't have features you want then complain about them. Again you knew the battery wasn't replaceable yet you complain about it.

As you said most of it can be taking care of by a jailbreak. Who cares about the warranty, you can always restore it to default if something happens. They have no way of knowing if you had jailbroke your phone or not after you restore it. ProSwitcher is a beautiful multi task app that is just like the Palm Pre's style. It works really well even on the slower 3G.

Now about the sim card is it really that big of a deal? I'd rather carry a paper clip or the little sim removal tool with me then have some pop out tray that adds thickness to my phone. And the comment about the keyboard, I'd hope you knew that it didn't come with one. And yet you still mention it. If you want a freaking keyboard go back to another phone it's just that simple. The iPhone's virtual keyboard is leagues above any qwerty I've ever used.

My advice is to give it some time and jailbreak it. It's just different than every other phone out there. It's very easy to use and has an app for just about everything. Comparing this phone to Windows Mobile is like comparing a Kia to a Benz. Yes they both have the same features but a Kia is still a Kia.
While I agree somewhat, the virtual keyboard is definitely not leagues above any physical QWERTY keyboard IMO. I have the iPod Touch (same thing) and in landscape mode, the keyboard is tolerable (I do it use quite frequently, actually) but nothing compared to my phone's QWERTY.

While I agree somewhat, the virtual keyboard is definitely not leagues above any physical QWERTY keyboard IMO. I have the iPod Touch (same thing) and in landscape mode, the keyboard is tolerable (I do it use quite frequently, actually) but nothing compared to my phone's QWERTY.

I don't really like landscape mode unless I'm surfing the web. For texting I using portrait mode and hold the phone between my hands and use my left thumb for the left side of the keys then my right thumb for the right side.

The big thing to learn is how to press it. A lot of people like to try and hit it with the tip of there finger and don't realize if you just do a full press it will hit the key you want unless you have no coordination.

@ Berry a couple things.

1. There are numerous applications in the app store that are free for the iPhone.
2. I might somewhat agree with you on the fashion statement. In fact back when I was originally in the market for a smartphone I went against it because I didn't want to be a part of the craze. That was the biggest mistake I've ever made. I think that some may buy it as a fashion statement but a lot of users buy it because the phone is very easy to use and replaces several devices.

1. There are numerous applications in the app store that are free for the iPhone.
...but many, many more that you have to pay for. Android swings it completely the other way round, sure you have to pay for some apps - but the vast majority are free.
2. I might somewhat agree with you on the fashion statement. In fact back when I was originally in the market for a smartphone I went against it because I didn't want to be a part of the craze. That was the biggest mistake I've ever made. I think that some may buy it as a fashion statement but a lot of users buy it because the phone is very easy to use and replaces several devices.
I was talking more about the iphone than smart phones in general. I agree, they are very useful things - at some point I might even get round to getting one. However, when we're talking about the iphone I don't see it having any technical advantage over the android, I do genuinely believe most people buy it just because everyone else has one and it's the done thing. No-one I know that has an iphone properly considered anything else before getting one! If they had, and they'd done it properly a lot more people in the world would have android based devices...

I don't have an iphone but I've wanted one for awhile now but you guys are saying that if I wanted to say... stream pandora and text a friend at the same time that I would have to jail break it?!?

he did say reputable though :p
...but many, many more that you have to pay for. Android swings it completely the other way round, sure you have to pay for some apps - but the vast majority are free.

I was talking more about the iphone than smart phones in general. I agree, they are very useful things - at some point I might even get round to getting one. However, when we're talking about the iphone I don't see it having any technical advantage over the android, I do genuinely believe most people buy it just because everyone else has one and it's the done thing. No-one I know that has an iphone properly considered anything else before getting one! If they had, and they'd done it properly a lot more people in the world would have android based devices...
I was in the market for a smart phone last year and when it came down to it i was torn between a few different android phones ,once id actually looked at the detail and technical aspect of the I phone i was put off it , sure it looks good but its popularity is all down to the apple marketing department in my opinion rather than the fact that it is a true technical marvel that no other phone can compete with

i finally decided on the G1 because of the hardware keyboard

I don't have an iphone but I've wanted one for awhile now but you guys are saying that if I wanted to say... stream pandora and text a friend at the same time that I would have to jail break it?!?

Yes you either have to jailbreak and install backgrounder or buy quickreplySMS.

I suggest downloading backgrounder for free the installing Pro Switcher. Rather than holding the home button to background something I can just swipe the status bar and put it in cards like the Palm Pre.

I've only gotten free apps so far, -and i only plan to get free apps. which is why I was more than a little miffed that the phone insisted that I signed up to apples site and entered a valid credit card before I could download free apps, don't really understand why there has to be a card associated with an apple account ready for purhases, and why payment details can't be entered at time of sale, or at least give people a choice between them.

No-one I know that has an iphone properly considered anything else before getting one! If they had, and they'd done it properly a lot more people in the world would have android based devices...
I also bought, (on ebay at the same time) an XDA serra (HTC Raphael).
I'm going to run them side by side for a bit I think, if I end up really liking th windows mobile phone more, there will be yet another iphone hitting ebay really soon, if not then the windows phone will go onto ebay.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;999750 said:
For texting I using portrait mode and hold the phone between my hands and use my left thumb for the left side of the keys then my right thumb for the right side.

The big thing to learn is how to press it. A lot of people like to try and hit it with the tip of there finger and don't realize if you just do a full press it will hit the key you want unless you have no coordination.
[/quote[ indeed I hold the phone in my left hand and type with three fingers from my right hand, and the thumb from my left hand, so I'm starting to get some reasonable speed on the typing. but still nowhere near as fast as on my (now broken) old phone, (XDA Mini IIs / HTC Wizard). but still faster than I can type in the new serra as the keyboard layout has changed a bit and it more compact and harder to type on.
indeed, I've got some office apps on there now, and a free gps program.
i don't see what's wrong with making a fashion statement purchase... as it is, for replacing lots of devices, I think that the windows mobile is still a bit better, GPS/Music/plus ereader for more formats than the iphone gets readers for, (at least for free). and the ability to move contact from and TO the sim card is good... not having to rely on itunes to get music onto the device...

jailbreaking alone isn't enough to run multiple apps.
Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;999913 said:
Yes you either have to jailbreak and install backgrounder or buy quickreplySMS.

I suggest downloading backgrounder for free the installing Pro Switcher. Rather than holding the home button to background something I can just swipe the status bar and put it in cards like the Palm Pre.

but don't forget that the memory management is rubbish so don't try running too many apps at once!!

(I still think that it beggars belief that before you can run two apps at once you have to hack (jailbreak) your phone, and then install alternative third party software...

do any of you iphone users out there want to tell me how I can use some of the 16GB of space as a portable USB drive. I've got a free app to make a wireless external HDD but that basically makes the phone a webserver and I have to upload via wireless and it's not speedy and is limited to one file transfer at a time...

so any way to make it a portable USB drive?, (yet another thing that a windows phone does "out of the box").

Back
Top Bottom