Help please!

hoohoo

Baseband Member
My Aspire One Acer laptop broke and when I turn it on it doesn't display anything on the screen. I have no idea what the problem is. Does anyone know? I had some important files inside, so I took it apart and took out the hard drive. I want to retrieve my files. The hard disk is a 2.5" 160G SATA 5400RPM. It runs Windows XP. What I want to do now is plug it to my desktop computer that's now running Windows 7. If I take out the hard drive I have now and put the 2.5", to backup files, is there a chance that something might happen to my computer?

EDIT: I want to backup my files to an external hard drive.

put the laptop drive in the computer along with the main hard drive that is in the computer. It will be recognized as a second hard drive. You should then be able to drag and drop your files to the main computer and then you can do whatever you want with them.

If I take out the hard drive I currently have on the desktop computer and replace it with the laptop hard drive, could I boot from the laptop's hard drive with Windows XP?

If I take out the hard drive I currently have on the desktop computer and replace it with the laptop hard drive, could I boot from the laptop's hard drive with Windows XP?
Not unless you do a repair install of windows xp on the drive.The easiest way is to just put it in the computer as a second hard drive.

Do you mean as a slave? My mother board has four SATA things to plug in. Two are black and two are red. On the two red ones I have my desktop hard drive and my optical drive.

No, slaves are onl for you are using IDE. Like right now hard drive is a slave to my optical since they are both on an IDE cable. But since they are both SATA, you just be able to choose which one to boot. But the XP drive will not work until you do a repair install of XP. It's not as hard it it sounds really.

No, slaves are onl for you are using IDE. Like right now hard drive is a slave to my optical since they are both on an IDE cable. But since they are both SATA, you just be able to choose which one to boot. But the XP drive will not work until you do a repair install of XP. It's not as hard it it sounds really.

hehe, thanks once again!

Back
Top Bottom