Laptop takes a dive

You can buy any hard drive (try NewEgg, they are cheaper than most other places) to replace yours--you do not need to get that from a manufacturer. You could theoretically just pursue a screen on eBay (someone may have a screen for sale instead of the whole thing...which you don't need). As long as you get the same model, the screens should match up (if that's the way you go). I can tell you from personal experience, working on laptops is a very frustrating thing if you a) don't have prior knowledge, b) don't have patience, or c) suck at working with really small parts. However, I won't stop you from furthering your knowledge, either. I just though I would do some advising just in case something goes wrong and you are out even more $$ than you are now. Cheers. Let us know what you decide to do!

Of course, the potential flaw in this plan is that you're assuming it's definitely the screen itself that's broken. While this is likely to be the case I wouldn't call it a dead cert - it could be something else entirely (a failing graphics card for instance.)

Like Berry said, it could very well be the graphics card being a problem instead of the screen. And since it's likely integrated graphics, that means you probably damaged the motherboard as well. And that is not easily fixable. At your laptop's current state, you probably have a failing hard drive, possible broken DVD drive, bad screen and/or motherboard.

Right now, I would suggest getting a new laptop altogether. It just doesn't seem reasonable to try and fix something this big ya know? You can get some decent laptops for $500-600 these days. I'll post some links if you want them.

Well Dude, now you have really captured my attention. No, I don't have a great deal of patience. At least that's what I have been told. I like to repair things with a chain saw and sledge hammer. Any repair requiring a smaller tool
may be a problem. I wish laptops were like modern day automobiles where you could plug in a high tech scope and get a reading on various components.
Still I hate to declare defeat. I'll keep of you posted on next steps. thanks.

I like to repair things with a chain saw and sledge hammer ... I'll keep of you posted on next steps.
Perhaps the next steps should be published in the gallery? ;)

I'm like you in the sense that I want to know what's wrong with something before I ditch it. But if that's the case, I'd really suggest getting a new laptop now then in a few years looking for your model dirt cheap on ebay. That way you still get to experiment and satisfy your curiosity - but don't have to waste lots of money doing it. Of course the only downside is the waiting a few years part!

Have you thought about theft? You could just steal a few laptops and mess around with them. Then, buy one to fix up.

;) Only kidding.

We're here for you in whatever decision you make. Haha. That sounds like a line for life insurance.

Perhaps the next steps should be published in the gallery? ;)

Agreed.

I would get a new laptop. Don't think of it as declaring defeat or giving up, but instead think of it as victory over (what is quickly turning into) a pile of junk and a new opportunity.

Once you get your new one, you'll be able to play around with this one. It's just not financially smart to try to repair this one when there is a chance that every key component (and quite possibly EVERY componenet) is going/already has gone bad. Of course I don't know what your finances are like so if you want to throw the money at it, I'm sure we can help you get it working again. However, I think it will only be a shell of it's former self....:)p get it, get it, 'shell', cuz all the parts are going to be replaced, sry bad joke :rolleyes: )

Back
Top Bottom