Interesting methods of moderation

Granted, i'll call off the air strike. Still i don't see why they couldn't have at least asked me to explain my intentions or w.e, bearing in mind it wasn't like i ran in, posted a site review and link on all their sections and GTFO.

Still, many thanks to Arrixz, that guy goes an extra mile clearly.

As a moderator and a person who's been around forums for a long time I woudn't have thought that was spam. It certainly wasn't worded like a typical spammer and like others said, you didn't post a link.

Personally, I don't think making that thread was smart. Tom probably could have appealed before that. Sure one of their members made a dick of themselves with the "Fook You" but still...

And I hope you guys are just joking about spamming them, but just in case: If you do spam them, I will ban you. We are not 4chan.

Wow, now wouldnt that be an abuse of power? I don't think any rule specifics what we as a person can or can not do on a completely different site where you have no authority.

Granted, i'll call off the air strike. Still i don't see why they couldn't have at least asked me to explain my intentions or w.e, bearing in mind it wasn't like i ran in, posted a site review and link on all their sections and GTFO.

Still, many thanks to Arrixz, that guy goes an extra mile clearly.

I'm here to please lol

Topic: Not a tradesmen, but hello
Posted: 10 January 2010 at 5:31pm
Hello everyone
I'm tom, i'm a web designer, not strictly a tradesman i guess, but hey ho. The reason i'm here is because i'm working on a site related to tradesmen, a directory of sorts. So i thought i'd make a couple of friends here who are willing to help me with testing and feedback on the site in return for free subscriptions to the site etc.

Ta

Here is how I see it.
You went in to a forum of a particular subject matter and stated you were going to make another forum of the same subject matter and was wanting their members to help you.

You were wanting them to help you create a "competing forum". It could also be looked at as trolling for members.

In this case, Tom, it was not a smart move to make. Poorly planned and executed. That's not like you.

I'm not going to take sides here, however I can completely see where Celegorm is coming from and would have supported his decision in banning X member.. It has the potential for these guys to create bogus names and stir the pot if you will over here...A forum these guys had no clue about till Arri made his thread, while respectable, Twas a mistake. Hypothetically speaking it could easily turn into a flame war here till it was shut down and mods had to intervene and ban those deserving. In regards to Toms post, How many threads have we had created here in the Social lounge that looked almost identical with the exception of different topic and ended up closed with the creators banned? Too many.

I really think you guys are making this into tooooooo big of a deal.

Whats done is done, and it is how it is. Did any problems happen because of what I did?

Nope. So chill out.

Some people take forums way too seriously.
Internets is serious business

As a moderator and a person who's been around forums for a long time I woudn't have thought that was spam. It certainly wasn't worded like a typical spammer and like others said, you didn't post a link.
it would have led to links and free memberships to competing forums, I'm be sceptical of a post like that as well.

if someone came here asking us to test their computer forum site, saying that we could have a free advert if we helped them out then I'd think it was spam advertising a competing site.

Wow, now wouldnt that be an abuse of power? I don't think any rule specifics what we as a person can or can not do on a completely different site where you have no authority.
call to raid can get you banned on 4chan.
and I will ban anyone doing it here.

no, there is no specific thing in the rules saying that you can't organise raids on other forums, but generally it means that people raid back.

then that means the mods have to do three times as much work as normal banning members and removing posts etc...

So from a personal point of view, I'd rather ban 1 member who was causing trouble than ban 30 accounts of people retaliating.

I really think you guys are making this into tooooooo big of a deal.

Whats done is done, and it is how it is. Did any problems happen because of what I did?

Nope. So chill out.
I see the point here, (I posted before this, so this will probably be automerged into my last post now).

but seriously, when you were a mod didn't you find it at least a little tiring to have to clear up after george, and keith and others who saw fit to create lots of accounts here and post lots of inappropriate stuff?

seriously, we have enough of our own home grown trolls and spammers without inviting people from other forums.

Back
Top Bottom