need help building a htpc

logan6480

Baseband Member
I am wanting to build a htpc and i need some help, with the parts and really the overall process of building one

htpc, I assume you mean home theatre pc?

What are your specs? What things do you want / need? Is it a brand new build, or have you got things you can use? (Operating System, Case?) Whats your specs?

If you have no experience in anything, it might be best first reading a few books, or maybe buying a pre built package, if you need it ASAP.

Just a bit more info please :)

This may not be the best idea if you're new to the whole thing, but an interesting approach using something like MythTV would be to have a single, large, powerful, expensive, noisy server churning away somewhere out of sight and mind. You can then build and configure as many front ends as you like, all that use the same backend and therefore have the same resources.

This means your front ends can be:
a) linked together with the minimum of hassle
b) cheap
c) quiet

...in my mind that's the approach to take these days, especially if you'll be wanting more than one around the house. Might not suit your needs, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there in case :)

i wanted one were i could use as tivo, burn movies, download songs, etc? As for what mobo and cpu and video card, tv tuner, capture card ....I have know idea of what i need

Two things:

What is your budget?

Where are you putting it? We need to know what type of case to use.

Plan on putting it in living room or bedroom and around 700 dollars

the biuld i posted has everything you need for less then 450$ and would be great for home theater PC.

anything else you would want to add, you could easly use the extra money for.

Once i have everything installed what is the next step, etc, etcl.

With a blu-ray burner can i burn regular blu ray discs?

sorry can i burn regular dvds with a blu ray burner?

Pretty sure you can. Might depend on the drive though.

When I asked where you were putting it I should have been more specific. Do you want it on the floor or in a desk somewhere, or in an entertainment center?

Basically I was wondering what kind of case you'd need, and how loud it can be.

Back
Top Bottom