Power Supply on first build

bug_n_67

Solid State Member
I'm doing my first computer build and I'm trying to figure out a power supply that will work for my needs. A run down on what I plan on running
ASUS Maximus III Formula
3xWestern Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATAII
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX Video Card - 512MB GDDR3
DVD writer
Blu-Ray player
These are the psu I was looking at
XION Power Real 1000W ATX
Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX
Ultra X3 ULT40073 600-Watt
they are all in the same price range. The Corsair has more sata connectors which might be better in the long run.
Any input would be great.
Thanks
John

Drop the blu-ray player
get a 550-600watt psu antec is nice.
get a 1tb hdd for storage and a smaller faster one for processing.
Besides that its all good

Drop the blu-ray player
get a 550-600watt psu antec is nice.
get a 1tb hdd for storage and a smaller faster one for processing.
Besides that its all good

x2 good advice.

Looks to be a great PC.

I was thinking of changing the motherboard to a ASUS P7P55D Premium or the Pro, this is going to be more of a work computer mostly CS4 and not a gaming one, so maybe the extras on the Maximus is more then I need.

John

Hey good choice going Asus for mobo. I am using the P5Qse mobo and love it. Anything above that I have seen has been pure bliss. My friends use Asus mobo and have had few problems.

This will be a nice build for gaming/video editing/internet. Not too expensive, but gets the job done.

i agree with almost everything
the only thing that i disagree with is the blu-ray
im going to add one to my pc
but i do agree with dropping 2 500GB HDD
and getting a single 1 TB HDD for storage
im not a big fan on the 1156 socket
but thats just me
all and all it will be a good PC
get the 750W PSU
just for future proofing :D

I agree with dropping the BluRay. From what I've heard (quite a bit on here actually) is that the software that's currently out for BluRay absolutely blows. Do yourself a favor and get something else. If you want to get a burner (for future use and making extremely large backup discs) then do so, but don't get just a BD-ROM.

Also, to add some more of my 2 cents, get at least 6GB of RAM if you'll be working with PS. It's a must, from what I have found in my own experience...especially with CS4 over CS3. With 4GB on my laptop, I /CAN/ notice a difference between my laptop (with 4GB) and my desktop (with 6GB). But, I would assume that if you are going with a new Core CPU, then you'd be set for at least 6GB of DDR3 anyways.

I also concur with the above (if you'll be working with CS4) to get a large hard drive for storage and a quicker one for your O/S. For your line of work, it is not necessary, but you should see a speed enhancement since the HDD will end up being the slowest component (other than the DVD drive) in this computer.

Do you have a budget in mind? We maybe be able to help with other missing pieces.

The budgets around $1100 without the case as I have that already(COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC) and it's with this line up
ASUS P7P55D Pro
Intel i5 2.66GHz
Corsair 8GB XMS PC3-10600 DDR3
Corsair TX 750W PSU
GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
3xWestern Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATAII ran in Raid
LG Super-Multi 22x DVD Writer SATA
I know I still need a fan for my CPU, I was looking at the Corsair H50 cooler and also Artic Silver 5 thermal compound.
It looks like for about $20 more I can get 8GB XMS PC3-12800 DDR3, would this be a better way to go.

John

With that budget and your case already purchased, you should be able to get an i7 with that kind of dough. I'm on my phone right now so I can't post up links. If you grab the original, you can get triple channel memory. I still strongly discourage RAIDing those drive unless you are going to do RAID1. If I were you (it seems you are looking for speed), I'd get 2 of those and do RAID1 for storage and then buy like a 64 or 128GB SSD for your O/S. If you aren't overclocking, don't bother with thermal paste and a new HSF. Also, if this your first build I'd recommend against arctic silver...it needs to be applied properly and can be destructive if not. I' go with something like AC's MX-2. I'll have a look at fans later. In the mean time, see if the Xigmatek S1283 is compatible with the older i7...I think it is.

I agree with dropping the BluRay. From what I've heard (quite a bit on here actually) is that the software that's currently out for BluRay absolutely blows. Do yourself a favor and get something else.
I also agree, and it's my single most used recommendation with most builds at this point. Realistically the only thing you can do with a blu-ray drive is rip disks to MKV files and play them that way. So if you plan on doing things that way then fair enough, go ahead. If you plan on popping in a disk and pressing play - forget it.

One day the software will get there, but that's not yet and by that time the drives will have inevitably fallen dramatically in price.

Back
Top Bottom