Fan making too much noise

jonreeves2000

Baseband Member
I have a Compac PC and the fan has suddenly started making a loud noise, intermittently. I had opened to clean the area and wonder what I must have done to trigger this noise? Anyone now what I can do? Thanks.

I have a Compac PC and the fan has suddenly started making a loud noise, intermittently. I had opened to clean the area and wonder what I must have done to trigger this noise? Anyone now what I can do? Thanks.

If you are able to take the fan apart you can clean it thoroughly with alcohol and then oil it with a tiny bit of 3-in-1 oil or something similar. Silicon oil (also called Fuser oil) works best, but is pretty hard to come by unless you know someone in the printer/copier repair business.

Could be a couple of things:

1: Something is causing your CPU to run hotter, resulting in increased fan speed. Probably dust if it just happened.

2: Fan bearing is dying. You could either peel the sticker on the back and put some lubricant in there or get a new fan. A way to tell is to shut the computer off and spin the fan with your fingers to see if it spins freely and/or makes noise when you do so.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried everything, but nothing. Noticed the fan attached to the power supply is not running-what does that mean now? Do I need to replace the power supply, or it has nothing to do with the fan making such a loud noise? Pls help.

Fan attached IN the power supply? or fan attached with a wire coming FROM the power supply? Big difference. We'll need to know which one.

Fan attached IN the power supply is not running. Fan attached by a wire is making a loud noise. Thanks for any suggestions you can share.

Yeah. Same here. PSUs get pretty hot, especially under load. I'd be worried. As for the fan that's ATTACHED, is it simply one that attached to the case, or is it on the motherboard on the CPU? Another thing that should be clarified...because if it's on the CPU and failing, that's not good either. If it's just on the case, replacements are very cheap.

Yup, this whole set up sounds a little worrying, lets try and get you answers as best we can before something blows up

Okay, the fan that is attached to the power supply is not running at all.
The fan that is on the heat sink is running fine, but making a loud noise, intermittently. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom