AGP slot not recognized

rockgeek

Solid State Member
ok seemingly basic question from no expert:
got a used rig from work... pretty basic, at the same time got a copy of a game (though I'm not a gamer but it looks like fun) that needs some graphic umph. went on craigslist and got a cheap used video card that should do it but it seems that my computer doesn't recognize the AGP slot? It doesn't show up in the hardware rundown or in BIOS. And I'm positive it's in there!!

Any ideas?

You know, this is a long shot, but I could have SWORN I once read up on an older motherboard that has a physical jumper on the board to enable or disable the AGP slot. That's a really long shot, but try looking around to see if you find anything like that.

thanks for the response... I did take a look but didn't see anything. Has anyone heard of a manufacturer sending out a machine with a slot that is not functional?

that I cannot do, but this is even before I tried installing the card. if I understand correctly, the agp bus should be visible in the hardware rundown (the pci is)...

My guess would be the video card is bad. What happens when you connect a monitor to it? If the card is working it should be usable right away.

But if the agp bus isn't being recognized by the computer, the card wouldn't work. Do I understand this correctly? Should the agp be visible when viewing the system through the control panel or software such as Everest?

When i bought a msi motherboard in '05 it had a orange slot at the bottom that was installed for future use. I dont remember if it was usable or not because there were no products that fit there so i just ignored it. This was at the bottom and obviously the agp slot is the first on top so sounds like u definitely have a bad slot or card.

Back
Top Bottom