Build Guide for Teens

Trust me dude, the rig i listed is of much higher quality than that.

You don't want ddr2. It's a dead format. DDR3 is the standard now, and is much faster.

You'll want a socket am3 mobo if you go AMD. That one is socket am2+, which is also a dead format. You can put any current am3 cpu into an am2+ motherboard, but you'll likely have issues with future upgrades.

The case and psu i listed were better than the cooler master set. The psu is the one component you really don't want to cheap out on.

3 words...

UGLYYYYYYY

UNNECESSARYYYYYYYY

EXPENSIVEEEE(ER?)

Well, you see, I don't want that case, but thanks for the suggestion! And, I don't really care if it's X4, I am fine with X2... I won't be doing too much anyway. This is a budget build for most things used by an average person (and maybe a little more) like iPod stuff, internet, and some applications like IM and maybe some games. I don't need ALL that stuff.

BUT THANKS! :D

I didn't say the $600 build was wasted on you, it's custom designed specifically for you, so it's a perfect fit.

I said it's be wasted on someone just logging onto face book and doing nothing else. -I was trying to illustrate why it was impossible to write a general guide for a single build for teens.

haha. it started out like that, but i guess it kind of changed, huh? I just dont know how to change a title... sorry.

mods can change the titles of threads.
if you want the title changed then contact a mod.

A few thoughts on the build...

and yes, even though I said that you couldn't generalise, that's exactly what I'm going to do now...

at the start of the build you're going to be working to a budget, for that budget you ideally want a PC that works reasonably well.

I believe it is the case that for most people at least, a budget is what you've saved up to now, or what you can afford to pay right now etc.

There are three approaches to PC building.

approach 1) go with the latest and greatest of everything, don't even try to save money. after a year sell this PC (which is still pretty top flight) and use the proceeds to help pay for parts to build another bleeding edge PC

Approach 2) build the best PC you can, keep it till it dies.

Approach 3) get the best ore components that you can, and upgrade as an when you've got some spare money.

Personally, I recommend approach 3.
get the best things that you can right now, that leaves room for future upgrade...

for example, get a board that supports the latest processor.
get a fairly decent processor.
then later when you've saved a bit more you can take this lower spec processor out and replace it with the one that you really wanted right now, but couldn't quite afford. -because it'll have come down in price too.

buy a board with the most amount of memory slots that you can, appreciating that the basic needs of an os like windows 7 is about 1 - 2 GB and you'll still want to run apps as well.

but the biggest size single sticks of ram you can.
there is little point in buying 4GB of ram in 1GB sticks cause that'll fill all the slots and you can't upgrade later.
better to buy 1 4GB stick, and then you can quadrouple the amount of RAM if and when you think that you need it.

same for hard drive. you need at least a 30GB HDD to install windows 7 (and have a good amount of space left to install applications), so why not just get a small hard drive.

unless you have terrabytes of data waiting to be put onto your new machine your data will grow over time and you can add more storage space over time.

you should go for an AMD phenom II X2 or X3, that way you have the chance to unlock the extra cores and get a quad core processor out of it. I wouldnt order any bundle that comes with a power supply because normally they arent very good and you wouldnt want some of the parts in your computer to fry because your PSU fried.

3 words...

UGLYYYYYYY

UNNECESSARYYYYYYYY

EXPENSIVEEEE(ER?)

Well, you see, I don't want that case, but thanks for the suggestion! And, I don't really care if it's X4, I am fine with X2... I won't be doing too much anyway. This is a budget build for most things used by an average person (and maybe a little more) like iPod stuff, internet, and some applications like IM and maybe some games. I don't need ALL that stuff.

BUT THANKS! :D

And what exactly is unnecessary? What I showed you was a modern budget rig that will last a LOT longer than the other crap here. I'm doing what root said in option 3. A DDR2/AM2+ board makes for really crappy core components. ALL new products will be AM3/DDR3.

I revised the list I made earlier. You seem dead-set on having crappy specs, but I tried to keep it reasonably snappy.

CPU- Phenom II x2 550 ($99) (by request...good luck unlocking it)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

Mobo- Gigabyte mATX board ($85)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128397

RAM- Kingston 2x1GB, DDR3 1066 ($47) (ZZF is a good site...no worries)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007851

Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar 600GB 16M ($56)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101259

PSU- Thermaltake W0070RUC ($37) ($12 rebate)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370565&prodlist=celebros

Case- Azza Orion 201 ($40) ($25 rebate) (Decent, but no NZXT)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517002

DVD burner- Sony Optiarc ($26)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

Total cost: $390 shipped, $353 with rebates, and so far is still better than anything else posted. It's under your budget.

I can find more cases, and that one also comes in red.

If you don't use this, please, please, PLEASE do not get a case/psu combo, or otherwise cheap out on the psu. The ones that come as freebies with cases are usually junk, as well as off-brand ones, and if your psu fails on you it usually takes other components with it.

And as for the core i3 vs the AMD cpu's, look closely here. With only a mild overclock, the i3 will beat a Phenom II X4 965. Seeing as they can hit 4.3GHz on the stock cooler, none of the other processors in this thread can even hope to beat it, even with unlocked cores and overclocking. (however, it seems the special is done with...they're $125 now, and the pentium is $99)
21148.png

And as for the core i3 vs the AMD cpu's, look closely here. With only a mild overclock, the i3 will beat a Phenom II X4 965. Seeing as they can hit 4.3GHz on the stock cooler, none of the other processors in this thread can even hope to beat it, even with unlocked cores and overclocking. (however, it seems the special is done with...they're $125 now, and the pentium is $99)
21148.png

That's obviously a single treaded app and the i3 still doesn't perform better. Now if we look at a multi-threaded app:

I rest my case...

^ You're forgetting that you can overclock the piss out of an i3. Much more than that athlon. The Phenom 965 may be a bit better in the end, but not the athlon.

The test I posted consisted of both multi-threaded and single threaded benchmarks, btw.

but i'm recommending him a phenom II X2 or X3 which can be unlocked easily and it has an unlocked multiplier in the one that you put into your build so it can be overclocked easily

you should go for an AMD phenom II X2 or X3, that way you have the chance to unlock the extra cores and get a quad core processor out of it. I wouldnt order any bundle that comes with a power supply because normally they arent very good and you wouldnt want some of the parts in your computer to fry because your PSU fried.

Good point.

How much are the amd phenoms? Would they work with my mobo?

What do you think of this?

Apex SK-378 Mid-Tower Case and DiabloTek 400-Watt
It actually looks like the case and 400-watt are separate, because it's a "bundle"!

And what exactly is unnecessary? What I showed you was a modern budget rig that will last a LOT longer than the other crap here. I'm doing what root said in option 3. A DDR2/AM2+ board makes for really crappy core components. ALL new products will be AM3/DDR3.

I revised the list I made earlier. You seem dead-set on having crappy specs, but I tried to keep it reasonably snappy.

I can find more cases, and that one also comes in red.

If you don't use this, please, please, PLEASE do not get a case/psu combo, or otherwise cheap out on the psu. The ones that come as freebies with cases are usually junk, as well as off-brand ones, and if your psu fails on you it usually takes other components with it.

21148.png

So the one I picked has a 134? Is that horrible?! (no sarcasm intended)

I will try to get a case and PSU separate, but I don't want to spend a ton of moolah. What do you think of this one?

Apex SK-378 Mid-Tower Case and DiabloTek 400-Watt
It actually looks like they ARE separate, but just bundled together for the budget-builders.

One last thing: Do you have any suggestions for a great MOBO under $90 (prefer $80) and any 4GB DDR3 RAM that will work with it that is under $80 too? (after rebates, of course). I'm going to try to buy the case, PSU, and RAM this week under $105...

That's obviously a single treaded app and the i3 still doesn't perform better. Now if we look at a multi-threaded app:

I rest my case...

How much was the AMD Phenom II 965? Was that the $100?

^ You're forgetting that you can overclock the piss out of an i3. Much more than that athlon. The Phenom 965 may be a bit better in the end, but not the athlon.

The test I posted consisted of both multi-threaded and single threaded benchmarks, btw.

Confusing. I don't know if I can afford a CPU over $100... what's the best CPU for my money ($60-85, please :D)

but i'm recommending him a phenom II X2 or X3 which can be unlocked easily and it has an unlocked multiplier in the one that you put into your build so it can be overclocked easily

Isn't overclocking risky for a novice? I mean, I don't want to buy a cheaper (or more expensive) component just because I can overclock it and overheat it, then have to pay for more fans (right?) :confused:

I didn't say the $600 build was wasted on you, it's custom designed specifically for you, so it's a perfect fit.

I said it's be wasted on someone just logging onto face book and doing nothing else. -I was trying to illustrate why it was impossible to write a general guide for a single build for teens.

mods can change the titles of threads.
if you want the title changed then contact a mod.

A few thoughts on the build...

and yes, even though I said that you couldn't generalise, that's exactly what I'm going to do now...

at the start of the build you're going to be working to a budget, for that budget you ideally want a PC that works reasonably well.

I believe it is the case that for most people at least, a budget is what you've saved up to now, or what you can afford to pay right now etc.

There are three approaches to PC building.

approach 1) go with the latest and greatest of everything, don't even try to save money. after a year sell this PC (which is still pretty top flight) and use the proceeds to help pay for parts to build another bleeding edge PC

Approach 2) build the best PC you can, keep it till it dies.

Approach 3) get the best ore components that you can, and upgrade as an when you've got some spare money.

Personally, I recommend approach 3.
get the best things that you can right now, that leaves room for future upgrade...

for example, get a board that supports the latest processor.
get a fairly decent processor.
then later when you've saved a bit more you can take this lower spec processor out and replace it with the one that you really wanted right now, but couldn't quite afford. -because it'll have come down in price too.

buy a board with the most amount of memory slots that you can, appreciating that the basic needs of an os like windows 7 is about 1 - 2 GB and you'll still want to run apps as well.

but the biggest size single sticks of ram you can.
there is little point in buying 4GB of ram in 1GB sticks cause that'll fill all the slots and you can't upgrade later.
better to buy 1 4GB stick, and then you can quadrouple the amount of RAM if and when you think that you need it.

same for hard drive. you need at least a 30GB HDD to install windows 7 (and have a good amount of space left to install applications), so why not just get a small hard drive.

unless you have terrabytes of data waiting to be put onto your new machine your data will grow over time and you can add more storage space over time.

Thanks! I'm gonna go with approach 3 :D

RAM: much appreciated :D I'll try to find a DDR2/DDR3 MOBO... do those even exist?

I'm going to install ubuntu... just got the disc today! Unbelievable for free! It came in 2 weeks instead of 4-6! I am glad there is a thing called Linux :p

I might ask for WINDOWS 7 later.

Anyway, I'm going to go with 500GB HDD, because it seems like saving $15 to get a 80-250GB is a waste...

And, I don't know if my CPU and MOBO are good, considering everyone else is pointing me in different directions..!!

Thanks! That seems affordable and thrifty :p Is it worth it, though? I mean... 2.4 is slow. How fast do you think I can keep it going at a nice, cool rate?

Back
Top Bottom