Telsa computer

Austinn1

Daemon Poster
Has anyone seen this? Im not sure how long this has been out. Telsa Supercomputer. Allows for super computing. I clicked the buy Telsa computer now, but its only available for Other countries. I wonder how much this thing would cost.

I think it kind of funny how it says you need Linux or windows XP to build your own.

My mate showed me this site a while back, they're sweet. Anyone know prices?

Well it's essentially an affordable way to have a little supercomputer in your home. These things have hundreds of cores that you can program, so if you've got tasks that take a long time but scale really well across multiple cores (rendering for instance) this could blitz through stuff in a few minutes that could take a conventional machine hours or even days.

That's at least the idea. I daresay what will actually happen is we'll get lots of people with more money than sense buying about 10 of these things just to claim they've got 10 supercomputers in their lounge...

Big independent graphics studios and smaller animation companies use them they're affordable solutions to big profit businesses need for processing power NOW!, see how long it takes for these products to become outdated or superseded

I think i saw a mobo that had like 5-6 pci-e slots that are not just for sli they said but you can have maybe a 2-3 way sli gpus and 3 tesla cards or what ever but that will make the sweetest most affordable super computer.

Are these tesla cards able to be used to improve game processing? ie game physics

Are these tesla cards able to be used to improve game processing? ie game physics
Haven't read up on it - but the short answer I would guess is yes, they theoretically could and probably will in the future, but no they probably won't very effectively at the moment. Unfortunately we're still in a world where people code in a single threaded way - perhaps using 3-4 threads if you're very lucky, but not much more than that. For game physics to truly take advantage of these hundreds of cores, people would need to adapt to a very different style of coding - process driven development. Have a Google / play around with occam pi if you don't know what I mean by that :)

That said, if software / physics were to be specifically written to take advantage of all this processing power then yes, I'd imagine it would most certainly give the physics behind things a lot more "oomph" (for want of a more technical term - but too tired to think of one!

They obivously help there but they are mainly built for physics simulation and rendering (in softwares coded for professional usage, and subsequently capable of accessing the performance available). Of course, games that conjoin the need for both of those operations will benefit from the masses of power under the bonnet

Back
Top Bottom