Sony v. NEC

Like I mentioned earlier, a small television/monitor for the office. I'll be connecting it to the cable box via HDMI, and to the computer via VGA.

Hmm. It's kind of a tough read. It's not necessarily apples to oranges, but it's HDTV vs Business-oriented display. Knowing the speaker/audio whore that you are (and I say that nice and jokingly :D), you don't care that the Sony has audio. Haha. And you would have obviously known that. I wish the Sony would list a response time. 9ms on the NEC seems like a lot to me, but depending on what kind of specific use you'll be doing (like, no gaming...?), then it probably won't matter much. Then again, the Sony is only 60hz. So I guess you can nit pick about either. At the end of the day, though, it's going to be up to you. But you did state you wanted quality. Part of quality (to me at least) is service.

Sony: Limited Warranty Term : 1 Year Labor / 1 Year Parts
NEC: Warranty - 3 years parts and labor, including backlight

And for the price difference, you'll have to decide if it's worth it. Because otherwise, knowing that Sony is a wonderful brand and that NEC is world-renowned for it's displays, it's a really tough pick.

I'm really focused on this Sony as a better comparison, since the price is going to be the same when compared to the NEC.

Hmm. It's kind of a tough read. It's not necessarily apples to oranges, but it's HDTV vs Business-oriented display.
It's really more monitor versus television kind of thing, since the Sony has a built in tuner.

9ms on the NEC seems like a lot to me, but depending on what kind of specific use you'll be doing (like, no gaming...?), then it probably won't matter much.
Mainly movies and television.

Part of quality (to me at least) is service.
The warranty really leaves an imprint on you. I mean, it's not even comparable. Three years versus one.

From a features standpoint, the Sony clearly wins (720p vs. 1080p). It has far more inputs and flexibility than the NEC - but when you look at reliability, it seems like the NEC really edges itself out.

NEC said:
These 32", 42" and 46" models feature public display-grade panels that protect against permanent image retention, and a full selection of inputs, which allows you to connect to a wide range of peripheral devices. The high-performance panel and an abundance of advanced technologies that promote extended use...

Sony said:
Experience Full HD 1080p, incredible contrast and sharp, vibrant images with the Sony BRAVIA® EX400 Series HDTV. Available in a variety of sizes, this great HDTV features Ambient Sensor and LightSensor™ technology that automatically adjust the color and backlight based on a room's lighting. Connect a USB drive and share your favorite photos and music with family and friends.

And I guess that's the choice you have to make. Features over support (but by that, the NEC is still a great choice). Sony just has all the bells and whistles. Then again, the features of the NEC (from a certain stance) are really great too. Man. Idk. It's tough. Let me know what you decide or if you find any more comparables as you move forward.

Personally I would go with the/a Sony. I purchased my Sony Bravia [Link] over a year ago and could not be more impressed with it's functionality and quality.
I use my television for multiple things, PS3 (blue ray, gaming, music), Computer Monitor, and of course regular TV shows.

I have a Sony BRAVIA as well, and I don't feel it's particularly impressive in build quality. It's a great television - don't get me wrong, but it's not the same type of Sony I used to own in the past.

The only sore point I have with the NEC MultiSync LCD3215 is the fact that it doesn't include a stand. That's sold separately. Some of the inputs on the NEC also aren't consumer friendly (BNC vs. RCA connections), so I'll need to purchase some adapters.

As for the Sony, I haven't seen it in person. It's a new model that was released a few days ago, so there isn't any way of knowing whether or not the set has any quirks I should be aware of.

01001010 said:
Mainly movies and television.

I think this is a key statement. The Sony is 1080p. The NEC is not. If you're anything like my dad and you only watch HD shows and blu-ray/HD DVDs, then I suggest you go with the Sony. Although you only have a one year warranty, I think they have an excellent service. Our HDTV downstairs broke down after 3 years and nearly 2 months.(they forgot to put in a component; that can be kind of worrying, but our TV is not a Bravia). We had a 3 year warranty, but Sony was nice enough to cover it for us free of charge. They ended up changing every component on the TV until they discovered the problem. They had to strip down a new TV to compare. We pretty much got a new TV out of that. Anyway, I'm running out of time at this lan house, if you like image quality, go with the Sony.

Like I've mentioned before, the difference between 1080p and 720p is very small if you're using this from a distance. I'm not going to use this as a full time computer monitor, and Time Warner Cable only delivers high definition content in 720p in my area.

Anyone else want to offer their two cents?

Back
Top Bottom