Building a Home Server

Speaking of that root, would you or anyone else recommend a certain version of Windows Server? I can start with XP, but if someone has used a server version of Windows, I'd be happy to try it.

I Have used Server '08 Before and it's quite simple really. All you have to do is install the features you want (I Think there called features),in this case i guess it'd be the features for File Sharing and printer sharing,configure them,and then Voila!

Though XP would be fine for 10 PC's and less.

Yeah. I'll try XP first. If for some reason I find using that to run this server too complicated haha, then I'll try Server 08. Hahaha. XP...complicated. That's so ironic. I don't think those two words should be in the same sentence.

That's pretty sweet. And actually, I thought again about the FTP thing. It would be nice to stream vids to my dorm room. Is that possible? Like, do you just create a password and can you then stream to anywhere (or transfer files anywhere..)?

Yeah,You can even setup external accounts so you can allow different accounts to be able to view stuff,yet not delete stuff or even View certain stuff and other stuff is hidden.

Aslong as you forward the ports properly (20,21) and your ISP hasn't got thost ports blocked on there side,you can share your stuff through FTP Anywhere.

Dude. That is freaking amazing.

Okay. This might be WAYYY out there. But, would I couldn't stream something live from my computer over that could I? (for instance, could I have my parents put in a DVD in my computer and stream it at college? or could I hook my my TV signal and audio and stream that?). It doesn't sound like it would work. I would have to have a tangible "file" first, wouldn't I?

For instance, what I'm essentially saying is, I have my computers networked kind of right now. Last night, I put a DVD in my upstairs computer and streamed it downstairs to that computer (which I then played on the plasma). But that was on a /local/ network. I couldn't do the same with FTP could I? ...or could I? :D

Anyways to stream a live video stream (when I say that, I mean a live stream to my home computer from TV, then stream THAT over the internet) though? Also, I'm not sure...but my college network is pathetic...they are blocking my email for my work (tried multiple ports) and are no help. I'm not sure how forwarding to an IP would work out...it is worth a try though.

You could do it theoretically with a bit of port forwarding - whether it'd be fast enough and unblocked though is a different matter!

Back
Top Bottom