Web cam problems - crazy

Bozwell

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm new here and hope someone here can help me. I really don't know where to start with this one...........it's crazy!

Just hooked up a Logitech 1.3 mp Webcam C300h. Loaded software and tested it out with the daughter -in-law who live a short distance away. While the test video and audio were pretty decent, the actual video and audio when we were connected were both "stuttering" and quality was poor.
Downloaded skype and 1) ran sound test - good. 2) ran microphone test - good. 3) Went to click on the video test button and the computer shutdown and went into restart. It does it every single time! If I click on the restart button or try to go live on a call, the system completly restarts itself. What in the world is causing this? :confused:
Anybody have experience with this problem before?
I haven't a clue where to start on this one.

Thanks in advance for any advise you may have to offer. :eek:

Boz

The only things I can think of that would cause your computer to restart would either be a virus or some kind of driver problem with the webcam. Did you install the drivers from the CD that came with the webcam? Have you ran any virus scans lately?

I installed all of the drivers and run a full system scan weekly. It's really strange that the video works fine with the Logitech software, it's just that I wanted to use skype. I downloaded skype and like I said the microphone test worked fine, the speaker test worked fine, but when I click on the video button, the screen goes black and the whole system shuts down and then restarts itself.
Just some really crazy stuff going on here........

Sounds like it's blue screening - if you can get the exact error code this may help sort out the problem. Try turning off automatic restarts on system failure and then post the error code here.

You say you've installed the drivers from the CD but I'd also suggest checking the web for driver updates - it's possible that this is a known issue that's been fixed since the product was launched.

Boz could you provide us with specs of your computer? I think I have an idea of what it is.

Is this what you're looking for?

AMD Processor
1.8GHZ, 1.87GB RAM
Windows XP SP3 Home Edition Version 2002
Service Pack 3

The processor is small and slow. The 2 gigs of ram appear to be shared with the video. It appears the ram could stand to be bumped up another gig. It could be one of the ram sticks is failing but I'm not going to go in that direction at the moment.
From the up/dl speeds you provided me it also appears you're on dsl. DSL is not real friendly to webcams. I've had more than my share of woes running a webcam on a low end dsl package.

Speaking of DSL, go to speedtest.net, and give us the result. It could result in a sluggish internet speed. Now, for the webcam to restart Windows, go to Logitech's website and try downloading a more decent driver for your webcam.

Back
Top Bottom