OCing

disturbed13

Daemon Poster
Why is it that I see some people overclocking their CPUs by
lowering the Bus Speed, and raising the Multiplier
or by
keeping the multiplier where its at and raising the Bus Speed

what are some of the pros and cons of these different methods?
Or is it that its better to lower the Buss Speed, higher multiplier on the new i7, i5 series CPUs
And raising just the buss speed on the 775 socket?
Thanks for the help guys

Why is it that I see some people overclocking their CPUs by
lowering the Bus Speed, and raising the Multiplier
or by
keeping the multiplier where its at and raising the Bus Speed

what are some of the pros and cons of these different methods?
Or is it that its better to lower the Buss Speed, higher multiplier on the new i7, i5 series CPUs
And raising just the buss speed on the 775 socket?
Thanks for the help guys

First, this should be in the Overclocking thread, but I'll answer.

On most CPU's the multiplyer is locked at a certain rate, cpu's with unlocked multiplyers are either the amd black editions or intel extreme editions. If you have the option raising the multiplyer is faster than changeing the bus speed, and more effective. The pro to multiplayers is that its quick and effective, but will cost you more to get an unlocked multiplyer. most often though if you want to overclock you have to raise your bus speed, howver core i5's and i7's dont have FSB's they have a qpi link instead, but the concept remains, you raise the core clock (mine is at 160 on my i5) the faster your cpu. If you want to overclock a socket 775 cpu, I highly suggest alot of reading before you do so, also check out this guide: http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=29837

If you have the option raising the multiplyer is faster than changeing the bus speed, and more effective.

Raising the multiplier is a faster method of achieving an overclock, but it is definitely not the most effective. When you raise the frequency of your CPU, you automatically raise the frequency of your RAM. Therefore, if you overclock your computer by means of raising the frequency more than the multiplier, you get more a complete overclock (a more effective one).

edit: having the option to change multipliers helps with stability, so that's why you would want that.

Back
Top Bottom