[Help] Choosing an Anti-Virus

Hdthree

Baseband Member
I recently did a full reinstall and am debating which Anti-Virus to use. I was previously using McAffe until they instituted an update to idiot proof which took away the ability to disable automatic quartine and filescanning, and as a result it went through and deleted some files which was very annoying.

I'm to see which anti-virus a majority of you use. I'm looking for an anti-virus which provides protection but at the same time gives me the ability to disable notifications, automatic updates, and gives me the ability to ignore certain files it may deem as unsafe.

I recently did a full reinstall and am debating which Anti-Virus to use. I was previously using McAffe until they instituted an update to idiot proof which took away the ability to disable automatic quaratine and filescanning, and as a result it went through and deleted some files which was very annoying.

I'm to see which anti-virus a majority of you use. I'm looking for an anti-virus which provides protection but at the same time gives me the ability to disable notifications, automatic updates, and gives me the ability to ignore certain files it may deem as unsafe.

Go to this website http://issviews.com/forum/

This website is dedicate to security suits information facts only, so it is still up to you to pick which Vendors suit to pick for your own needs.... and if needed post your question and you will get a very helpful response.

Cheers

AVG 9.0; All the way.

Allows you to ignore files on Resident Shield and Scan.
And you can disable any component at any time as well as remove notifications about it. Or remove any other notification for that matter.

+1 for AVG - it hasn't let me down yet.

That said, I still maintain that a large part of internet security is just, well, being sensible online. Combine that with AVG and you shouldn't have an issue.

When I reformatted I went with Vista 32 and moved away from 64 since I didn't feel like there was much benifit and Vista 64 seemed slightly unstable.

Want the Installer? I just remember putting AVG on the lappy, it wouldn't install the version I used for my desktop.

I'm currently trying out Microsoft Security Essentials (since it's free) and so far, I like what I'm seeing.

Please explain sensible online internet use and how you know which web page is safe or not?

Well to start with places like Google will often complain if you're about to be sent to a site reported as malicious. If you are, don't go there. If you must visit sites of an explicit nature, don't download any programs, activex controls or the like from them (even if there's instructions on the site telling you to!) Don't open and run any attachments in emails unless you're 100% sure they're legitimate, scan all programs you've downloaded before you run them regardless of source and ESPECIALLY if you've torrented the thing or downloaded something illegally. Where possible, download programs from reputable / trusted sources such as sourceforge, softpedia and so on.

That's only a few things, but they're really not that difficult to do in this day and age...

Back
Top Bottom