Build Guide for Teens

my hdd really does not run hot at all not passed 40c heatpipes would be good for not so big case but they are kinda pointless in my eyes

why buy the cheapest main board/processor possible?
is this a one time complete purchase or are you planning to upgrade later,

like you may use onboard graphics now but want to upgrade later.

a regular DVD drive might be nice but are you going to want to watch blueray movies on the computer? are you allowing case space and power requirements to add new drives later?

what about sound? you using onboard sound or getting a decent sound card, you going surround sound or just stereo...

As berry has been trying to tell you, there is no generic guide for teens...

as an example, when I was a teen I pretty much used my PC for creating small programs in Qbasic, and then moved on the visual basic, (version 3). I didn't really need any power at all so was happy with a really cheap machine.

I played in a band with a friend who was really into music, so his rig was a bit more powerful, he ran virtual studio software on it, had surround sound set up so that he could get the most of out his music, had dedicated midi controller cards so that he could plug his keyboards into it. a nice big monitor so he could see what was going on.

had another couple of friends really into gaming, so they had computers with decent graphics cards, and had bought network cards so that they could take their PCs to each others houses and connect them together, (this was in the days of BNC coax cables and terminators...)

there is no BUILD GUIDE FOR TEENS as if you talk to ten different people they are likely going to want to do ten different things on it.

ranging from checking face book, to creating the next face book.
listening to music through to making music.
watching videos, editing videos. playing old games, playing the latest games.

your $600 machine you've spec'd up is wasted on the teen who literally just checks facebook a few times a day.
but it won't be nearly enough for the teen who must be playing the latest releases.

why buy the cheapest main board/processor possible?
is this a one time complete purchase or are you planning to upgrade later,

like you may use onboard graphics now but want to upgrade later.

a regular DVD drive might be nice but are you going to want to watch blueray movies on the computer? are you allowing case space and power requirements to add new drives later?

what about sound? you using onboard sound or getting a decent sound card, you going surround sound or just stereo...

As berry has been trying to tell you, there is no generic guide for teens...

as an example, when I was a teen I pretty much used my PC for creating small programs in Qbasic, and then moved on the visual basic, (version 3). I didn't really need any power at all so was happy with a really cheap machine.

I played in a band with a friend who was really into music, so his rig was a bit more powerful, he ran virtual studio software on it, had surround sound set up so that he could get the most of out his music, had dedicated midi controller cards so that he could plug his keyboards into it. a nice big monitor so he could see what was going on.

had another couple of friends really into gaming, so they had computers with decent graphics cards, and had bought network cards so that they could take their PCs to each others houses and connect them together, (this was in the days of BNC coax cables and terminators...)

there is no BUILD GUIDE FOR TEENS as if you talk to ten different people they are likely going to want to do ten different things on it.

ranging from checking face book, to creating the next face book.
listening to music through to making music.
watching videos, editing videos. playing old games, playing the latest games.

your $600 machine you've spec'd up is wasted on the teen who literally just checks facebook a few times a day.
but it won't be nearly enough for the teen who must be playing the latest releases.

it was merely just a suggestion for teens who would maybe like to branch off somebody elses ideas. I will upgrade later, but i believe blueray is pointless for a computer when i have a ps3. Thanks for your input, though.

And this "$600" is not being "wasted".

I'm simply building it because I am a computer enthusiast and I would love to enjoy the experience, even at my young age. Of course I am ignorant about computers right now; but hey! Give me a chance! I'm new to this stuff, and I think people should respect that.

With all do respect, please understand that I am not nearly as experienced as you, so please don't put your expectations so high for me.

my hdd really does not run hot at all not passed 40c heatpipes would be good for not so big case but they are kinda pointless in my eyes
alright; good to know! that will save me some mooolah XD

the phenom X3 will be faster than the processor that you picked out because it has more cores, i would say that the amount of cores are more important than the clock speed. i believe that if you pick up the right motherboard then you might be able to unlock another core and get a quad core processor out of it.

Are we trying to find a general build suitable for most "teens" or are we helping you to design a computer for yourself?
I'm fine with doing either, but don't lie in order to get us to help you design a computer. We would be more than willing to help, you just have to ask.

Are we trying to find a general build suitable for most "teens" or are we helping you to design a computer for yourself?
I'm fine with doing either, but don't lie in order to get us to help you design a computer. We would be more than willing to help, you just have to ask.

haha. it started out like that, but i guess it kind of changed, huh? I just dont know how to change a title... sorry.

You can't change the title.

You need to tell us a final budget (is it 600?)

And what all you intend to do on this rig. Latest games on highest settings or can you settle for medium graphics on most titles?

You can't change the title.

You need to tell us a final budget (is it 600?)

And what all you intend to do on this rig. Latest games on highest settings or can you settle for medium graphics on most titles?

1) Okay.

2) Final budget: I want it to be under $400. I really want it to stay cheap but run fast. So, basically, I want it to run the internet fast enough for me (2 seconds is fine for an average web page to download for me) and to be able to download youtube videos without having to wait 30 minutes for a 3 minute video to load!

3) I do not want to play the latest games on highest settings, and I can settle for a medium graphics card. The problem is, I will have Ubuntu (until I can afford Windows 7 or ask for it for Christmas), so most games wont work with my operating system... Would I even need a good graphics card, then? I will probably just be watching videos, editing/creating videos (not hardcore - maybe like a windows-movie-maker but for Linux), and using Linux applications..

4) I will probably ask for Windows 7, a good graphics card, and a couple games for my next Christmas and/or birthday. I might ask for some upgrade parts, as well.

the phenom X3 will be faster than the processor that you picked out because it has more cores, i would say that the amount of cores are more important than the clock speed. i believe that if you pick up the right motherboard then you might be able to unlock another core and get a quad core processor out of it.

How do you unlock cores? If it's too complicated, could you link me to a different web page? Oh yeah, and do you know the difference between DDR2/DDR3 and if DDR3 is worth switching to a new motherboard?

DDR3 runs faster than DDR2 but i dont really think that it would make that much of a difference. if you can find a motherboard that will let you unlock that last core that takes DDR3 RAM then i would take it. if not then dont worry about it. just google "how to unlock last core on AMD phenom X3" or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom