Gurrreat Book for Computer Builders/Beginners :D

Slightly moot point (thinking aloud here more than anything else) but does anyone else question the value of such books these days? Perhaps I'm just looking down on things from a more experienced perspective, but it's really not too difficult in this day and age - there's lots of guides online and besides, everything these days is pretty much just plug and play and goes where it fits! I guess there's nothing wrong with having a good book on the subject (I always like a book when I'm doing something new) but I don't think it's as essential as it once was.

16+ years ago when if you plugged in the AT power connector the wrong way you'd blow your PC up, and getting ISA cards installed was a case of setting a million different jumpers correctly - now back then I agree a bit of reading would have been wise!

Agreed. And even to the point that if there is something you need help with, a quick google search...uh i mean a quick post on Computer Forums....and you'll have your answer in no time flat.

I can't wait for this book to come at my library! (I "held" it and should be able to check it out soon!) Check it out!

Build Your Own PC Do-It-Yourself For Dummies

Rated Five stars, yo! :D

Practically, common sense and an interest to self satisfy (?!?:confused:) is much better than that book.

Just get stuck in and ask around here if/when you get stuck or if/when you have questions or queries.

Simples!

That's cool. I would always encourage anyone to be well read before trying to fix/build computers. This book may be more comprehensive on the subject, though.

That's cool. I would always encourage anyone to be well read before trying to fix/build computers. This book may be more comprehensive on the subject, though.

exactly whay im sayin! im only 13 so im not super good at comprehending "overclocking" and "motherboard", but id like to become very fond of those subjects.

I'm actually kind of shocked that people were discouraging the reading of computer books on a computer forum. But hey, what do I know?

I'm actually kind of shocked that people were discouraging the reading of computer books on a computer forum. But hey, what do I know?
I'm not saying that such books shouldn't be read at all - more that you can get by without one these days without too much of an issue (I never had one for instance and never made some killer mistake that I've regretted and a book would've set right.) If anyone wants to purchase a good book on it and have a read through then great, I just don't think it's completely necessary these days is all.

I'm not saying you shouldn't read up on a subject either. I just don't think, with all the info on the interent, you need to buy a book to do it. I'm sure there is plenty out there to get you through whatever project you are working on.

I'm not saying you shouldn't read up on a subject either. I just don't think, with all the info on the interent, you need to buy a book to do it. I'm sure there is plenty out there to get you through whatever project you are working on.

haha, yeah. I totally get what you're saying. I guess some people just prefer books, some people prefer online. I just like the fact that this book is organized into steps that I can comprehend, but I guess everybody learns a different way.

Plus, I want to suck in as much information as possible before May, when the prices for most computer components decline. ;)

Oh, and I am just borrowing it from my library (I would never pay $20 for a book!!)

Back
Top Bottom