New laptop cannot access other computers on network

pcmike

Beta member
My new Toshiba laptop can access the enternet thru the wired or wireless connection to my modem, but it cannot see any other computers on the net and if they see the Toshiba they cannot access the shared drives on the Toshiba.

My old Toshiba sees and accesses all the shared resources on the net.

My home network consists of:
2 hard wired desktops, 2 wireless laptops, 1 linksys cable modem & 1 linksys 4 port wireless router -- security = WEP.

Thanks for help and advise to get this computer on the net.

Is it in the same workgroup?
What version of Windows is it?
What version are the other ones?
Can your other ones see it?

Can the other computers on the network see the new laptop?
Is it in the same workgroup as the other computers?
Is sharing enable on the new laptop?
Are the other computers sharing folders that have 'everyone' as security access or are you sharing them using specific usernames?
If you are sharing them using usernames, is the new computers username in the Security list?

Thanks for your replies.
Here are my answers to your questions:

Can the other computers on the network see the new laptop?
Yes, all other computers see the new Toshiba but get the error message that it is not accessable when you click on it. The new Toshiba laptop sees only itself on the network.

Is it in the same workgroup as the other computers? Yes

Is sharing enable on the new laptop? Yes

Are the other computers sharing folders that have 'everyone' as security access or are you sharing them using specific usernames? Yes

If you are sharing them using usernames, is the new computers username in the Security list?

This Tosbiba laptop has all (or all I can find) sharing and security settings the same as my older Toshiba laptop (which sees and accesses the files and folders on all other computers.)

Thanks again for your help.

How are you trying to access the files? Are you browsing to the computers by going to START>RUN>and type the computer name or IP of the other computers. Or are you using Network Places?

If the other computers say that the new toshiba isn't accesible, then that kinda of sounds like there are still some kind of security issues. Are you sharing and files from the new toshiba yet or is it just out there? See what happens if you share files/folders.

I am accessing with Network Places (all the others do it this way too). I have since turned off Window Firewall -- no change.

Like I said on one of the other posts, the network and security settings on this new Toshiba are the same as the old Toshiba -- just the old one connects and the new one does not.

[All computes on the local net run Win XP SP3, all can access the Internet, all (Sony desktop, homemade media center computer, 10 year old Compaq Presario laptop, and 6 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop) except the new Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop access each other's files, folders, and printers.

Sorry I haven't replied to you sooner -- the last two days I was building a new desktop for my church sound system recordings. It also connects to my network with no problems

Thanks again for your help.

It really sounds like security settings to me. There isn't anything else I can determine through posts.

The only thing I would try is to use START>RUN>type \\computer name of another computer or IP address of another computer from the new laptop and see if that works. Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom