PHP versus ASP

nevins

Beta member
PHP (Producer Open Source)
Server Platform +------------ Unix, Linux, Windows
Speed of writing+-----PHP has a much wider range of built in functions, and a less verbose syntax, making it a much quicker language for development. Other features of PHP also greatly simplify and speed up project development:
* type conversion - PHP converts types automatically
* Form, session and cookie variables are available to use straight away on the page
Flexibility PHP seems to be the more flexibile language. Its open source nature means that anyone can add features as they come across the need
Ease of Learning PHP is a much friendlier. Additionaly, there are more high quality online resources to help you.
Derived from PHP syntax is derived from C++

ASP (Producer Microsoft)
Server Platform Windows only
Speed of writing ASP has a much tighter error checker than PHP's default. This means that error reports are more common in ASP. This is also a positive when you are learning as, unlike PHP, ASP will not allow you to get away with sloppy code.
Flexibility ASP is a very rigid language - what might be efficient methodologies in PHP are completely unworkable in ASP. (ie the absence of associative arrays)
Ease of Learning ASPs more rigid structure and longhanded ways of doing things may be intimidating to the beginner.
Derived from ASP syntax is derived from VB

Not best pleased with posts like this - I initially thought it was automated spam but with no links perhaps not.

There's really no point to comparisons like the above; especially when they're copied from another site, not brilliantly accurate and not formatted in any decent way at all. People can use Google you know...

Besides, my favourite by far is JSP. It's a shame it's not supported on more servers out there - because in my view as a language it completely trumps the other two.

asp windows only? guess you never heard of mono?

I don't really think that the error control is tighter necessarily either, if you mess something up in ASP it'll let you know, mess it up in PHP it'll also let you know, just it might be filling an error log somewhere else on the server...

ASP is reasonably flexible. assuming that you know how to use it...
I guess that the difficulties are when experienced PHP programmers go on to code in ASP and find that they are having to work to a more strict set of enforced coding practices.

also, who is still using ASP in this day? aspx (asp.net) has long replaced it to all intent and purposes...

asp windows only? guess you never heard of mono?
In fairness, mono in production environments generally goes on a sliding scale of frowned upon to flat out banned - and you certainly wouldn't write something in .NET with the intention of running it on mono to start with (at least I can't see the point of doing that!)

But yes, it's definitely possible to run .NET stuff in *nix with mono and for what it is it works pretty well!

I guess that the difficulties are when experienced PHP programmers go on to code in ASP and find that they are having to work to a more strict set of enforced coding practices.
+1 to this - and I don't think it's a bad thing. The stricter your practices are the easier it is to spot bugs and the less time spent tracking the things down. That's one of the reasons why I prefer JSP - being on a Java base everything's nice and strictly typed, the language has a good set of conventions that makes running tools like findbugs useful and the compiler catches a lot of silly mistakes before you even try and run your code!

Back
Top Bottom