Build Guide for Teens

nickelodeonn

In Runtime
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - $62
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD - $100
RAM:
Corsair Value Select PC10600 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz - $50
PSU: Thermaltake PurePower 430-Watt - $30 (after rebates)
HDD: 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - $55
Case: FREE!
Disk Drive: LG GH22NP20 DVDRW Drive - $30
Case Cooling: Masscool 120mm Fan X2 - $6

TOTAL: $328 (including rebates!)

EXTRAS (that I need):
Wireless Card: Sabrent PCI-G802 PCI Wireless Card - $15
Keyboard and Mouse: FREE standard keyboard & mouse
Monitor:
FREE 15" CRT monitor
Speakers: FREE Speakers

TOTAL: $15

COMPLETE TOTAL: $343(including rebates!)

i prefer wired or usb connection i dont like to waist space inside my computer

That will be a lot in shipping. Just order from one site so it's one shipping cost. Going from multiple sites will kill your budget.

That will be a lot in shipping. Just order from one site so it's one shipping cost. Going from multiple sites will kill your budget.

tigerdirect has free shipping under 20 lbs but over 100$ spent if you have to just do seperate orders from them

You can find monitors around the web for super cheap! I got a pretty good 17" monitor for $75
Cheap Speakers- $10
17" is TINY these days! I wouldn't even consider anything smaller than a 19" monitor at the moment, and the standard is moving towards 24" widescreens. You might also find most people want a bit more than the crappiest pair of speakers they can find...

Either way, getting on for $600 is still quite a bit, especially for a teenager - and I don't agree with the "generic build guide for teens" idea. The whole point of going down the custom route is that you get to decide what you want yourself - that might be overkill for what someone needs (mine does all that I need and more and cost me about £200 including shipping and a 19" monitor 2 years ago) or might be completely underpowered from day one (I'm not sure what those integrated graphics are up to, but doubt they're going to be brilliant at maxing out the latest games...)

Sure, that might be a great rig for what you want to do with it, I'm not disputing that idea. But it most certainly isn't a one-for-all generic build for teenagers that just want to build something, and definitely isn't the cheapest option available.

17" is TINY these days! I wouldn't even consider anything smaller than a 19" monitor at the moment, and the standard is moving towards 24" widescreens. You might also find most people want a bit more than the crappiest pair of speakers they can find...

Either way, getting on for $600 is still quite a bit, especially for a teenager - and I don't agree with the "generic build guide for teens" idea. The whole point of going down the custom route is that you get to decide what you want yourself - that might be overkill for what someone needs (mine does all that I need and more and cost me about £200 including shipping and a 19" monitor 2 years ago) or might be completely underpowered from day one (I'm not sure what those integrated graphics are up to, but doubt they're going to be brilliant at maxing out the latest games...)

Sure, that might be a great rig for what you want to do with it, I'm not disputing that idea. But it most certainly isn't a one-for-all generic build for teenagers that just want to build something, and definitely isn't the cheapest option available.

Okay, I see. Will you help me? I was just putting this out there for advice. Could you help me?! $200 (including a monitor!!) doesn't sound so bad!!

I'm in the UK, so working with £ not $ - but the principle is the same ;) These aren't the components I got, but looking through very quickly...

Motherboard: £50. This includes the processor as well... :)
Hard drive: £30 for 250GB.
RAM: £8 for 512MB.
Case with PSU: £35
Cheapest monitor I could find: £80

OK, it's ridiculously, ridiculously budget and there's a good chance you'll want to upgrade those bits (I did slightly better when I looked there, got a 19" monitor there for <£70 and a case + power supply for £30) but if you want some generic components to whack together and make a working PC at the end of it without breaking the bank, thereya go. You might be able to do a bit better by grabbing a generic processor / board rather than going down the atom route too - I didn't have time to thoroughly look at the options.

Thanks! I don't live in England... or London, or whatever that currency is. Haha. I'll take your thoughts into consideration, but I might want to build a long-lasting computer that runs for a while and not rush into it... I still want a good computer -- not the best -- but good :)

he has a 200$ limit? did i miss something
Hahahaha.

I'm in the UK, so working with £ not $ - but the principle is the same ;) These aren't the components I got, but looking through very quickly...

Motherboard: £50. This includes the processor as well... :)
Hard drive: £30 for 250GB.
RAM: £8 for 512MB.
Case with PSU: £35
Cheapest monitor I could find: £80

OK, it's ridiculously, ridiculously budget and there's a good chance you'll want to upgrade those bits (I did slightly better when I looked there, got a 19" monitor there for <£70 and a case + power supply for £30) but if you want some generic components to whack together and make a working PC at the end of it without breaking the bank, thereya go. You might be able to do a bit better by grabbing a generic processor / board rather than going down the atom route too - I didn't have time to thoroughly look at the options.
Wow, I'm still getting more "bang-for-my-buck" without your advice... haha. But thanks! I guess it's where we live & what we want (and time)

Back
Top Bottom