How to change EXTERNAL IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshadowxx

In Runtime
Hi I'm just wondering how I change my EXTERNAL IP Address.... can anyone help me out? I've heard the only way is to call my ISP and tell them to change it... are there any other ways?

If you're on a static IP, then nope there's no other way - it's your ISP that's responsible for assigning you your IP address, you can't force them to change it and you can't change it yourself (unless your ISP has put into place a system for doing so.)

If you haven't got a static IP address, then sometimes just rebooting your router / modem will do the trick.

I'm not sure what i'm using all i know is that I have earthlink cable internet. I think it uses DHCP correct?

I wouldn't know whether your address is static or dynamic - but you can pretty easily find out by checking your ip (such as whatismyip.org) and then rebooting your router / modem and checking again. If it changes, it's definitely dynamic.

If it doesn't change, it's more likely to be static but not certain. Some ISPs use dynamic IPs but with long lease times, perhaps a few weeks. In this case you can monitor your address over time and check if it changes at all.

I recently just read somewhere else that I could turn off my modem and wait for my DHCP lease to expire and then my IP address would change.

I did this and my IP Address did change, the problem is when i use a site to look up the location of my OLD ip address it still shows the same location... how come? how long will this take to change.

What do you mean same location? You mean like it shows where u live (or the area). It will always do that because each ISP has specific IP address it can give you. When you get that IP, it is traced back to the ISP that is allowed to you use, thus it shows that you are in the same location.

ok, i'm just wondering cause I'm banned from a few forums but I want to get back on so I can just re-register. but i want to have a diff IP so I won't get banned. So is changing my IP address like this a good solution? what else should I do?

Well, it might work. I'm not sure how IP banning works. The only thing to do would be to get back on and see what happens.

I would help you with a real simple answer but seeing as your IP was banned/blocked, then it would stand to reason you did something really bad.
Being a owner/operator of one forum and admin at another, the only time an IP goes in the firewall is a pretty serious offense. In other words you got kicked out and are not wanted back. Logic dictates you want to go back and do some more hell raising.

I'm not IP banned right now. My account is "banned" permanently. So i'm not really sure what that means. So now i'm guessing i can just go ahead and sign back up? lol but I want to do in inconspicuously. That's why I changed my IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom