AntiVirus for Ubuntu 9.10

There is such a thing - ClamAV is the biggie around for unix / linux.

That said, there's really no need... I daresay there are viruses floating around for Linux, but you're not going to pick them up unless you're very unlucky and/or stupid!

I personally don't bother, and no-one else I know does either. A few use iptables (firewall) but antivirus seems a bit overkill for the casual linux user. Heck, I don't even run one on my windows box most of the time - I'm just careful what I open and perfectly happy reinstalling everything if anything does wreck it!

There is such a thing - ClamAV is the biggie around for unix / linux.

That said, there's really no need... I daresay there are viruses floating around for Linux, but you're not going to pick them up unless you're very unlucky and/or stupid!

I personally don't bother, and no-one else I know does either. A few use iptables (firewall) but antivirus seems a bit overkill for the casual linux user. Heck, I don't even run one on my windows box most of the time - I'm just careful what I open and perfectly happy reinstalling everything if anything does wreck it!

Thanks for the advice!

Viruses:
Trojans
* Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[15]
* Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[16]
Viruses
* Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[17]
* Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[6][18]
* Binom - Linux/Binom[19]
* Bliss
* Brundle[20]
* Bukowski[21]
* Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[22]
* Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[23]
* Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[24]
* MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[25]
* Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[26]
* OSF.8759
* Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[27][28]
* Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[29]
* RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[30] (known for infecting Korean release of Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.2 in September 2005[31])
* Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[32]
* Staog
* Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[33]
* Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[34]
* Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[35]
* Wit virus[36]
* ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[37]
Worms
* Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[38]
* Adore[39]
* Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[40]
* Devnull
* Kork[41]
* Linux/Lion
* Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[42]
* Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[43]
* Ramen worm
* Slapper[44]
* SSH Bruteforce[45]
* Avira (freeware and commercial)
* Bitdefender (freeware and commercial versions)
* ClamAV (free open source software)
* Eset (commercial versions)[8][9][10]
* F-Secure Linux (commercial)
* Kaspersky Linux Security (commercial)[11]
* McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Linux (commercial)[12]
* Panda Security for Linux (commercial version)[13]
* Sophos (commercial)
* Symantec AntiVirus for Linux (commercial)[14]
* Trend Micro ServerProtect for Linux (commercial)

Viruses:
Trojans
* Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[15]
* Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[16]
Viruses
* Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[17]
* Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[6][18]
* Binom - Linux/Binom[19]
* Bliss
* Brundle[20]
* Bukowski[21]
* Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[22]
* Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[23]
* Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[24]
* MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[25]
* Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[26]
* OSF.8759
* Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[27][28]
* Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[29]
* RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[30] (known for infecting Korean release of Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.2 in September 2005[31])
* Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[32]
* Staog
* Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[33]
* Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[34]
* Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[35]
* Wit virus[36]
* ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[37]
Worms
* Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[38]
* Adore[39]
* Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[40]
* Devnull
* Kork[41]
* Linux/Lion
* Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[42]
* Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[43]
* Ramen worm
* Slapper[44]
* SSH Bruteforce[45]
* Avira (freeware and commercial)
* Bitdefender (freeware and commercial versions)
* ClamAV (free open source software)
* Eset (commercial versions)[8][9][10]
* F-Secure Linux (commercial)
* Kaspersky Linux Security (commercial)[11]
* McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Linux (commercial)[12]
* Panda Security for Linux (commercial version)[13]
* Sophos (commercial)
* Symantec AntiVirus for Linux (commercial)[14]
* Trend Micro ServerProtect for Linux (commercial)
Ew gross. haha. But I'm sure that there are THOUSANDS for windows. haha. Which one do you recommend the most? (antiviruses)

Ew gross. haha. But I'm sure that there are THOUSANDS for windows. haha. Which one do you recommend the most? (antiviruses)

All computer OS's are prone to viruses, I have been informed by Linux /
ubuntu users that Avast has a good antivirus for your needs.

Cheers

All computer OS's are prone to viruses, I have been informed by Linux /
ubuntu users that Avast has a good antivirus for your needs.

This is true, but Linux is far less prone to viruses than windows just because of the way it works (and this is ignoring all the obscurity reasons why there's less viruses around for linux.) If windows was built the same way, we'd all have far fewer issues...

Thing is in windows, permissions are very lax. Everyone runs everything as an admin, all files / programs have read, write and execution permissions by default and they can do anything they want to the filing system as a result without any warning that they're doing it. Yes, before I get shot down I admit some of this has changed recently (with the likes of UAC introduced in Vista and more common limited accounts introduced in XP) but it's really just trying to put a sticking plaster on the grand canyon - most people still run as admin because a lot of programs don't work otherwise, and most people just click "allow" on every UAC box they see simply because it's what they've been told to do! As such, if you get sent a virus or if one is downloaded without your knowledge, it can run instantly and essentially do whatever it likes.

Let's compare this to the Linux world. If you download something through email, off the web or whatever then it WON'T be able to execute at all by default. Sure you can chmod +x it if you want it to, but you'd only do this if you knew it was safe - there's no way you're going to do that by accident. Even if this does run, everything in Linux is sandboxed so it won't have root permissions by default, sure it could trash your files but that's about all it could do. It can't install a million other programs, force itself to run at startup, muck anyone else's files up or embed itself deep in the filesystem like it could if it was running on windows, Linux just won't allow that to happen.

If you told any (half intelligent) Linux user to chmod 777 their entire filesystem and run everything as root they'd rightly tell you to shove your advice where the sun don't shine (or some derivative of the above words using stronger language!) Yet on the windows front, people do the equivalent of this daily!

This is one of the many reasons why Linux is far, far more secure than windows. It's not just because of obscurity and because users running Linux are generally more knowledgable - it's been built from the ground up as a far more resilient OS.

I haven't even started on things like SELinux which increase this protection further still...

As such, there's really no need for any virus / malware protection apart from in very special cases - most of the time it's just a waste of resources.

This is true, but Linux is far less prone to viruses than windows just because of the way it works (and this is ignoring all the obscurity reasons why there's less viruses around for linux.) If windows was built the same way, we'd all have far fewer issues...

Thing is in windows, permissions are very lax. Everyone runs everything as an admin, all files / programs have read, write and execution permissions by default and they can do anything they want to the filing system as a result without any warning that they're doing it. Yes, before I get shot down I admit some of this has changed recently (with the likes of UAC introduced in Vista and more common limited accounts introduced in XP) but it's really just trying to put a sticking plaster on the grand canyon - most people still run as admin because a lot of programs don't work otherwise, and most people just click "allow" on every UAC box they see simply because it's what they've been told to do! As such, if you get sent a virus or if one is downloaded without your knowledge, it can run instantly and essentially do whatever it likes.

Let's compare this to the Linux world. If you download something through email, off the web or whatever then it WON'T be able to execute at all by default. Sure you can chmod +x it if you want it to, but you'd only do this if you knew it was safe - there's no way you're going to do that by accident. Even if this does run, everything in Linux is sandboxed so it won't have root permissions by default, sure it could trash your files but that's about all it could do. It can't install a million other programs, force itself to run at startup, muck anyone else's files up or embed itself deep in the filesystem like it could if it was running on windows, Linux just won't allow that to happen.

If you told any (half intelligent) Linux user to chmod 777 their entire filesystem and run everything as root they'd rightly tell you to shove your advice where the sun don't shine (or some derivative of the above words using stronger language!) Yet on the windows front, people do the equivalent of this daily!

This is one of the many reasons why Linux is far, far more secure than windows. It's not just because of obscurity and because users running Linux are generally more knowledgable - it's been built from the ground up as a far more resilient OS.

I haven't even started on things like SELinux which increase this protection further still...

As such, there's really no need for any virus / malware protection apart from in very special cases - most of the time it's just a waste of resources.

:eek::eek::eek: Wow! That just made me want to put Linux on all my computers! (All though I know my family wouldn't appreciate it!) I'll definitely have to use Ubuntu, then. Unless there is a better Linux OS?

If you're a beginner with the Linux world then Ubuntu is probably the wisest choice - it's got brilliant community support and configures most things for you :)

There's different Linux distributions for different purposes and therefore those that are good at different things. I ran Gentoo for years for example, but wouldn't recommend that if you're new to it all :)

If you're a beginner with the Linux world then Ubuntu is probably the wisest choice - it's got brilliant community support and configures most things for you :)

There's different Linux distributions for different purposes and therefore those that are good at different things. I ran Gentoo for years for example, but wouldn't recommend that if you're new to it all :)

All right, sounds good. What's up with all these weird names?? :D (Gentoo) But yeah, I'll look into that later, I guess.

Thanks for all the help! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom