Raid

Pancake92

Baseband Member
Which would be the best way to go about doing this? When I build my new computer I am going to have one Intel X-25 80GB SSD and two WD VelociRaptor 300GB. I am thinking about running RAID 0 with them. I am putting the operating system on the SDD. Do I only make a RAID array for the other two or for all three drives?

personally, this is what id do.

Put the operatoing system on the ssd, and just use a regular 7200rpm 1T hdd for your information.

there really is no need for RAID 0, and if you wish to, just use two 1TB HDDs in raid 0, get the same performance, for cheaper, and iv heard of VelociRaptors fail often.

Which would be the best way to go about doing this? When I build my new computer I am going to have one Intel X-25 80GB SSD and two WD VelociRaptor 300GB. I am thinking about running RAID 0 with them. I am putting the operating system on the SDD. Do I only make a RAID array for the other two or for all three drives?

If you using X-25 for the OS drive (which is great by the way) you definitely don't want to use ur raptors in raid 0 for storage. To begin with, you will not see any difference, but whats really important here is your storage. Since X-25 is only 80g all your movies, music...etc will have to be saved on ur x2 WD VelociRaptor's and if you set them to raid-0 you have twice the chance of loosing all ur info if one of them goes bad, or if ur raid 0 array goes bad.

So use your X-25 as an OS drive and add two more separate drivers for storage using WD VelociRaptor, its the best way to go, trust me. :)

Cheers.

well RAID0 is fine, I've got three seagate HDD's in RAID0 and I get like 200 MB/s actual transfer rates, and my computer is always responsive, even immediately at startup, so I know it's doing the trick, especially with the amount of garbage I have installed on this thing.

I saw the ES.2 750gb HD really cheap a couple days ago. RAID up a couple of them and that would destroy a 1tb HD.

EDIT: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?px=MP&scriteria=aa78006
Its a bit more expensive but it'd be faster than a raptor, so forgo any boot dive and just use two of them.

couldnt he get away with a 30GB SSD HDD for his boot disk?
or does windows 7 need more space then that?
cuz i was thinking of doing that with my rig
using a 30GB SSD to install just 7 and then have a RAID 5 array using 4 500GB HDDs for 1.5 TB as my program and game storage.
then ill canabilize my 1.5 TB HDD and install that for movie storage only :D

but thats not my question
it is how much space would be a safe ammount for installing 7 on and just 7 on the SSD?

but my opinion is to keep the boot disk
and go with that HDD that you linked Pancake92 as your storage
with 32MB of cache it should be awesome!

couldnt he get away with a 30GB SSD HDD for his boot disk?
or does windows 7 need more space then that?
cuz i was thinking of doing that with my rig
using a 30GB SSD to install just 7 and then have a RAID 5 array using 4 500GB HDDs for 1.5 TB as my program and game storage.
then ill canabilize my 1.5 TB HDD and install that for movie storage only :D

but thats not my question
it is how much space would be a safe ammount for installing 7 on and just 7 on the SSD?

W7 uses 16gb for 32 bit and 20gb for the 64 bit

I don't understand all this boot drive stuff though. You pay like $150-200 for a really fast drive and only put the OS on it.... all it does is make the system boot faster, and maybe increases performance a bit, but for less you can get like 1.5 TB RAID that'll be just as fast and itll be fast for everything.

let me see if i can explain my crazy mind
im tired of waiting on my computer to boot
so slap a 30 GB SSD for 164$ in there where ive already got a 289$ GPU and i wont shrug a shoulder at it

let me see if i can explain my crazy mind
im tired of waiting on my computer to boot
so slap a 30 GB SSD for 164$ in there where ive already got a 289$ GPU and i wont shrug a shoulder at it

How long do you want to wait for your computer to boot? Is that kind of money on an SSD worth the time?

Back
Top Bottom