Resolution question

ALX

Solid State Member
A friend of mine uses an older Gateway with Windows98SE. She won't part with W98 because she uses a few pgms that run on the old DOS operating system. She wants to get rid of her dinosaur CRT monitor so I've been looking at some flat panel monitors for her. It seems that a lot of monitors out there now are wide screen. I'm wondering if the wide screen will just stretch the images on her screen horizontally or if I'll have to get her another display adapter to accomodate the wide screen. Right now her max resolution is 1024 x 768.

She is a bookkeeper and uses the classic Lotus123 spreadsheet for her clients. Over the years, she has grown very accustomed to the formula syntax and macros...etc. I've tried to push her toward other spreadsheet programs and she wants nothing to do with them. Her opinion: "Why learn a new strategy when the old one works so well?" She does have a point.
I do some programming on a novice level, but I obviously don't have a clue about hardware. I'm thinking that if she buys a wide screen monitor, she will need a video adapter that will cover the wide format; other wise the image will be stretched. Is that accurate?... Or will the hardware that she has now offer a greater range of resolution with the new wide screen monitor?

the video card curretly in the computer should handle the resolution no problem, but you need to make sure it has the right connector (e.g. the old blue d-sub, or vga vs. a dvi connection that many newer monitors have.) because if its still running W98, you may have a bit of an issue upgrading video cards.

Widescreen is a little iffy on a computer that old, and you will have issues upgrading video cards if you have to do that. Maybe your best bet might be to check ebay and pick up a used non-widescreen lcd, you might be able to find brand new ones though. Or maybe post a thread in the for sale section of this forum and see if anyone has one.

I just have to comment.....She wants to get rid of the dinosaur CRT but she won't get rid of the dinosaur running dos?

surely she could still get rid of the PC and use compatibility mode to support the old DOS program...

Back
Top Bottom