Linksys Router

Whyfly??

Daemon Poster
Ok not sure where this would go, so I'll post it here.
I have a Linksys WRT 110 router that I use.
I have two computers hooked up to it, both are WIRED. Nothing on the wireless, no printers no devices etc.
Now to the problem.
Let me start of by saying Linksys is a being a piece.......
They said my product was not under warranty, so I'm like W.e. so I can't get it replaced. Turns out that also applies for ANY tech support whatsoever. So I can't get help from them cause I ain't paying 29.99. I was like WTF why do I have to pay, it's NOT MY FAULT it broke. The lady was like maybe it is, maybe you whacked it with a hammer. :eek:
I was dumbfounded, why in the world would I break something that I desperately need, that I payed for, and that is vital to my family?????
So now actually to the problem.
Ok I have Comcast so I pay for 20 Mbps download.
I do get that speed. Problem is it drops.
I'll have 20 Mpbs, and then just browse the internet or play some COD MW2 and then if I run the same speed test with the same host the speed drops. If I keep doing this it just keeps dropping until the speed becomes unbearably slow.
Then I take the router and simply unplug it, wait a bit, and plug it back and the speed is back at 20!! Then the process simply repeats. But I can go on COD and play a few games before the lag starts and I have to restart my router or the game is unplayable. Sometimes even if my speed is 20 Mbps the game still lags and I have to repeat the process, only then does the game work.
I'm completely stuck.
Here's how my network goes.
The cable goes from my Modem, to my Vonage Modem (VOIP) then to my router where the two cables from it go to my PC and my dad's.
Idk what to do, I've restarted the router countless times (Sometimes it'll work good for hours, other times I can't fix it and just walk away, and it fixes itself later on) :confused:
I've restarted it, reset it, I did not update firmware IDK how.
I've clicked the button on the front middle of it, IDK what it does. I just don't know what to do!
Help please. I'll give more info if needed.

My first guess is firmware. I know you said you don't know how to update it so I'm just going to ask first if you know how to use the web-based configuration.

I tried downloading the firmware. But it saves as some .bin format or something and IDK how to open it. What you mean by web-based configuration?

Cable modem > WAN port on router > On LAN ports feed >>> VOIP + computer 1 + computer 2
If the VOIP interface is ahead of the router, if it has to do anything or some gets/places call, it gets priority over the router and kills the bandwidth.

Flash the router firmware if you feel you need to but 9 times out of 10, it fixes some feature bug that is so minor it's not worth the risk of turning your router in to a brick.

Cable modem > WAN port on router > On LAN ports feed >>> VOIP + computer 1 + computer 2
If the VOIP interface is ahead of the router, if it has to do anything or some gets/places call, it gets priority over the router and kills the bandwidth.

Flash the router firmware if you feel you need to but 9 times out of 10, it fixes some feature bug that is so minor it's not worth the risk of turning your router in to a brick.

I have noticed that. That when someone calls or my parents call, that is when I get EXTREME lag. Then it goes away after a few seconds. So basically I should go from modem to my router. Then my router has four wired output ports, so two of those should go to PC and one to VOIP? So you guys think this will fix the problem? I'll try it now and see if it works.
Thanks for help.
-------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Ok Idk what to do. It goes so slow I just can't take it and am running the cable directly from my modem to my PC. I get 21 Mpbs consistently and good line quality, so that's been ruled out. It's my damn router and I have no clue how to fix it?
I tried rewiring so that it goes from modem to router and then breaks off into VOIP pc 1 and pc 2 but that still doesn't fix it because the speed jumps all over the place. Now when using my router it keeps getting worse and worse. Is my router messed up or should I try upgrading the firmware?

Another thing to consider is that the router may be getting too hot and malfunctioning. I say that because you said that sometimes rebooting the router doesn't help and you have to leave it off for a while to get it going again. Put a fan on it and make sure it's in a well ventilated area as it runs and see if it behaves any differently.

Another thing to consider is that the router may be getting too hot and malfunctioning. I say that because you said that sometimes rebooting the router doesn't help and you have to leave it off for a while to get it going again. Put a fan on it and make sure it's in a well ventilated area as it runs and see if it behaves any differently.

Ok it used to be hung against a wall, so the heat had nowhere to go. So I though that it would be worth a try to just kinda leave it suspended in mid air so the heat can go somewhere. So what I am doing now is simply running it so that I had phone service and internet on one PC. So I am not using my router. I'm gonna try leaving it off for about an hour or two and then try to plug it back in and see what happens with a fan on it. When I did leave it off though it was only for a minute, so I'm not sure if it could cool down in a minute. Any more ideas?

Ok it used to be hung against a wall, so the heat had nowhere to go. So I though that it would be worth a try to just kinda leave it suspended in mid air so the heat can go somewhere. So what I am doing now is simply running it so that I had phone service and internet on one PC. So I am not using my router. I'm gonna try leaving it off for about an hour or two and then try to plug it back in and see what happens with a fan on it. When I did leave it off though it was only for a minute, so I'm not sure if it could cool down in a minute. Any more ideas?

Sorry, no other ideas other than replacing the router...

Back
Top Bottom