600 watts too much? Help!

necro1

Solid State Member
Hi.
My computers power supply recently burned out. It was an Xclio-450 watt power supply. So after it burned out I bought another power supply which is a Coolmax 600 watt V-600 power supply. And now my computer does not boot or do anything. All the fans turn on but I get no video and no beeps. And the hard drive LED light is solid green it does not blink. These are the specs to my computer:
Motherboard-ASUS A8N-E
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 4000+ socket 939
Video card-XFX Geforce 7900 GS
Sound card: X-fi Xtreme gamer
Western digital hard drive
and 3 optical drives (dont ask)
I was wondering if maybe 600 watts was too much for my system and maybe it burned out my system? Can this be true? I hope not because I got some homework to finish. Thanks for any help.

Power supply wattage doesn't matter. Your computer will only take what it needs from the power supply.

Did you plug the 4-pin CPU plug in?

Yes I plugged in that one plus the main 24 pin one. I also disconected all the other unecessary stuff and tried to boot it with the bare minimum and still nothing. I dont know what to do.

Try clearing the CMOS. You'll see a little jumper labeled CMOS. Pull it out and move it one spot over and take out the battery.

Another thing you can do is re-seat your ram, graphics card, and double check connections.

The worst-case scenario here is that when your old power supply died it didn't go alone.

Ok ill try that. The jumper is that little square looking thing right? I think on my board its on the bottom left.

Sounds like that's it. There will be three pins there and you just have to move the jumper over for like 30 seconds then move it back and replace the battery.

Ya that did not work.......I unplugged the power cord, removed the battery, moved the cmos thingy over one spot and left it for like 30 seconds and put everything back but still nothing. The mobo light comes on but I get no boot or video or beeps. Maybe my system is dead?:(

It's definitely possible. The only thing you can do is replace yor components with working ones to find out what still works :(

Maybe someone else can chime in if they have any ideas, I don't have any left.

I think when your power supply died, it took your MOBO with it :(
You're gonna have to test it with a new one..

Use this as a lesson to buy quality power supplies. It's the one area you don't want to cheap out on.

Back
Top Bottom