Random Chit Chat

What gauge of wire would be the best for hooking up the fog lights on my truck? I have about 50 feet wire, 18 gauge I think sitting out in my shed but somebody told me I need at least 16 or less, considering its going straight from the cigarette lighter, through a switch on the dash, and back to the lights.
I decided to fashion a light bar thats going to bolt directly onto the box as the easiest way to get my fog lights on, short of spending a LOT more time making a roof rack, or spending $500 on some roll bars. Witch the latter would have been alight, but that means I'd have to scratch the tool box on the truck witch is very handy for storing the tools in.
We had an old Plexiglas truck cap on my dad's '87 Nissan King Cab pickup 4x4 (i miss that beast, lol) that a black bear ripped apart, so I salvaged a hollow aluminum bar that's the perfect size to go from the top of the box, up and across level with the cab of the Chevy and back down to the top of the box on the other side. Great because its light, hollow so I can run the wires through it, and easy to work with. Bought the last two-pack of fog lights on sale for $12.99 at a boxing-day sale, and hopefully I'll find a similar set so I can have a row of 4 or 6 on the top. I'm going to get a picture when its done and put on the truck to see what you all think. I'd finish tonight because I just have to clamp it onto the box, but its too damn cold! -30 Celsius at the moment...... I wish i had a heated garage.

Anyway, heres the aluminum bar I'm using, this is taken straight out of a truck cap.
21965_1231988992180_1002802084_30639767_6884225_n.jpg

And here it is with the light harnesses on it, and note the small hole to the side for the wiring to go through.
21965_1231989032181_1002802084_30639768_7502938_n.jpg

You're kidding, right? I didn't even read the rest of your post. The gauge of wire running TO the cigarette lighter is going to be thin as crap. Unless you want a cab fire, don't even think of trying this. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would try to run fog lights off of their cigarette lighter...I smell something cooking...and it ain't food...it's melted plastic and seats.

no no, that not what i meant I worded that really wrong, lets go back and edit this........ a guy i know said that's how he thinks i should do it, it's just common sense that would be stupid. I want fog lights not a great camp fire :p I'm powering it at a source in the fuse box, I have it done that far with 16 gauge. Tested the lights there and its ok.

I kinda had to laugh, that original part did come out sounding pretty stupid but its not what i meant, lol :p

EDIT: I see now that i made a second comment I cant go back and edit.. could a mod help me out with this?

no no, that not what i meant I worded that really wrong, lets go back and edit this........ a guy i know said that's how he thinks i should do it, it's just common sense that would be stupid. I want fog lights not a great camp fire :p I'm powering it at a source in the fuse box, I have it done that far with 16 gauge. Tested the lights there and its ok.

I kinda had to laugh, that original part did come out sounding pretty stupid but its not what i meant, lol :p

EDIT: I see now that i made a second comment I cant go back and edit.. could a mod help me out with this?

Thank God. I was hoping you wouldn't do it and come back and post that you need to buy a new truck. So...what exactly are you planning on doing? Just putting a switch in the dash, you mean?

Thank God. I was hoping you wouldn't do it and come back and post that you need to buy a new truck. So...what exactly are you planning on doing? Just putting a switch in the dash, you mean?

Yeah, I got a good 12V power source that works alright. From there its going to run to the fuse, the fog light switch and relay, and finally to the lights. I just need to know what the ideal gauge of wire I should use. I was looking at 18 gauge but I'm thinking its too thin for the kind of power the fog lights are going to require?

Yeah, I got a good 12V power source that works alright. From there its going to run to the fuse, the fog light switch and relay, and finally to the lights. I just need to know what the ideal gauge of wire I should use. I was looking at 18 gauge but I'm thinking its too thin for the kind of power the fog lights are going to require?

What are the specs on the fog lights?

They dont say anywhere, not on the cover, bulb, or packaging. Good old google wasnt even able to tell me

Hmm...I guess then to be safe, I would go with at least 16 gauge wire and probably a 15amp fuse. If you can find 14 gauge for not much more $$, I'd go for that, but, I think you would be safe with 16 gauge.

alright, thanks for the advice man if it warms up enough I'm going to finish the wiring tomorrow :) I'll snap a few pictures of the Chevy after the lights are running

i found a site online where u can watch full movies for free w/o signing up pretty sweet i watched sin city again i love you beth cooper and no wim watching alien vs predator requim,

on another note i went to the apple store today he said hte problem is a bad hard drive...its $130 to fix it I think i'm going to get it fixed cuz the nano's are to small i love my 80gb video

Back
Top Bottom