Upgrade 30GB iPod to 60GB?

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
First off, is this even possible?

I'm not for SURE on my iPod, but I have the 30GB video version (when they first came out with ones that could play movies..that's the one I have)..I think it's like 3 or 4th gen..but I can look.

But anyways, I have way too much music for it. I've got about 40GB, so I can't sync it anymore...which ticks me off. So I'm wondering if I can upgrade the HDD in it from a 30GB to a 60GB, or if it's even cost effective.

Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, my guess is this is not possible. I think when I bought it, the 30GB was the biggest one you could get. Maybe I'm wrong, but this would most likely mean the software on the iPod wouldn't support a 60GB HDD. I think it's the new iPods that started offering 60GB...I don't know for sure.

first question is could you even replace the HDD? wouldnt it be really small drive with many layers?

plus you would probably need to reinstall its "os"

Meh. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. But the hard drive replacements are freaking ridiculous price-wise. I can get a brand new 160GB for $250...it doesn't make sense to risk breaking mine to save a whole $75. The cheapest I can find that HDD is like $160-170, and I don't really feel comfortable buying used. Oh well, I got my answer. Once again, thanks a bunch guys!

So then, say I want to buy a new one. Where would you buy from? It'd be nice to save the tax $$ by not ordering from Apple, but I'm not sure how that would affect the warranty and whatnot....

Well, and I just don't know if I want to risk my perfectly good 30GB while trying to upgrade....

If it is broken then the HDD may be compromised and not be good to use.

It could, but if it's simply just a broken screen and you can tell everything else works fine...

But if you want to just make it easier and upgrade, go for it. Just suggesting a cheaper alternative.

Back
Top Bottom