Video serveillance software?

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
For lack of a better place to put this... Move it if you think it fits better elsewhere.

I am looking for suggestions on free video surveillance software. I looked around a little and couldn't find what I needed. I have a digital video camera I can use, and a server on all the time that it can be connected to. The reason I figure on doing it is to set it up in my apartment. Last semester my apartment got broken into and I got $200 worth of stuff stolen. I figure even if I don't get my stuff back if my apartment gets broken into, at least I might be able to ID the person that broke in since I already have all the equipment, and just need some software.

What I would like it to do is just record for maybe 24-48 hours and then delete anything over 24-48 hours old as it records, so I don't run out of hard drive space. The reason being is that I'll notice that my apartment has been broken into before the 48 hours is up and can look at the video.

I'll continue to look, just thought I'd ask.

Checked it out. Does everything but delete old stuff from what I can tell. I might figure out how to get it to work for me with the scheduler.

As an old salt in the security biz, let me enlighten you about some things.
Your computer may be a target to be stolen. In that case you have nothing.
Also to be admissible evidence in court, the recording MUST have the time and date embedded in to it as such it can not be altered.

Yeah, I know my computer could be a target to be stolen. I'd figure generally that if they decide to break in and don't know what I have in there yet they will just go for little things like last time. My camera and iPod were stolen, as well as my backpack and my roommate's PS2. I have my whole other nice desktop with 3 LCDs. I can't say my server computer will be the first targeted b/c it's just a plain looking case under the desk. Not to say it wouldn't get stolen, but a lot less likely b/c it would be too conspicuous to take too many large objects. Heck, I had my Macbook sitting right on the bed when they broke in. It was still there when I got back. My apartment has cops patrolling all the time. I do have my expensive stuff insured for theft.

Back
Top Bottom