Computer Overheating

xxguit3rxx

Baseband Member
Hello,

I recently got a new CPU for christmas, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, an upgrade from my Core 2 Duo E8500. I installed this one, applying the thermal paste correctly and I booted it up, once my OS loaded to desktop it was the hardware of the CPU it would then shut down each time at the exact same time. So I removed the CMOS battery put back in, then I opened Speed Fan to see that my Temp 1 was at 140C and My Core 1-3 was runnig 88+.

This is obviously not normal because the max temp my CPU can handle is 71.4C. The odd thing is when my PC turns off my case fans still run. I am using Windows 7. Also my monitors stop working once my PC turns off. I have been letting them cool down.

Any suggestions? Also once I do get my PC on I usually dont have any time to do anything before it shuts down.

Frustrated.

Take off the heatsink and reapply thermal paste. All you need is a small drop and it should spread to cover at least most of the CPU. You're using the stock cooler right? Make sure the push pins are turned back to their original position so they don't pop out.

I am using the stock Heatsink, I scraped off their crappy thermal pad and reapplied my own Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I flashed my BIOS due to it being out of date and then I put my old CPU back in, works fine. I am about to put the new one back in but the pegs on the Heatsink are terrible, they only go in a certain order apparently so im doing the right order but some just do not go in, I push them in, I hear them click so I turn the peg 90 degrees the opposite way I put it in and I am able to pull it out. So far the bottom left and right pegs will not go in. If it is still overheating then I will bring it back and notify the shop because their is an issue with the hardware of my old one is fine but the new one overheats. And the order of puting in the pegs according to my manual is top right, bottom left, top left, bottom right.

If the heatsink isn't applying enough pressure then there won't be good contact. Your E8500 may not have put out enough to cause a problem, but with your Q9650 there are two more cores producing heat.

You could always get a new heatsink, nobody likes stock heatsinks anyway. :D

I am going to to turn to liquid cooling. I put my new CPU fan in, took a little with the pegs but they are all in securely. I am using speedfan to recognize my temperatures. I just cant find a guide to figure out what each reading means.

GPU:
Temp1:
Temp2:
Temp3:
Core 0:
Core 1:
Core 2:
Core 3:

Core 0-3 is my CPU im guessing? It cab handle a max of 71.4C so I set the warning icon to 65C, it will recognize it as overheating once it reaches 65C. Temp1 is my case? GPU is my graphics card, it can handle 105C (9600GT) i set the warning to 95. I am not sure what are reasonable temperatures for everything else tho. Temp 1,2,3.

I refuse to use stock heatsinks best bet is going to your local computer store explain the problem and take out your mobo and get a heatsink/fan combo for your cpu hat has a back plate to ensure full pressure and as much surface area contact as you can get.

Also I remember some time ago I was having cooling problems with my rig so I bought a new case. The cooler master scout or something of the sorts. Here And after all that and putting in two nice loud 120mm thermal take side case fans I went from 80c to around 40c. Airflow is one big thing you need to worry about. These They are loud but they do exactly what they were meant for.

Ok well I have seem to fixed the issue, I currently have an Antec 300 with 3 120mm case fans. One on the top, one in the front and one in the back. I always thought Antec had really good cooling. I was considering getting liquid cooling but have not fully decided yet. Here is a screenshot of my temperature ratings. I have my cores set to show a flame beside them when they reach 65C, the max is 70.4C. I have my GPU show a flame at 95C, max is 105C. I am not sure what to put for Temp1-3 since I am not fully sure on what they mean.

2ekozyh.jpg

When I join a game, CS:S for example, my temperatures range from 62-70C only playing for 10mins, when my max temp is 70.4C. This is unusual for a game like that for that amount of time.

As of right now those aren't terrible temps. My core temps for my quad core range from 42-53 idle. Just get some nice fans with sufficient airflow and you will be fine. Aim for about 30 cfm a fan.

those are my temperatures at idle. When I play a game, such as CS:S after like 15minutes it begins to overheat lol. I play competitively and matches last between 30min to an hour depending on how well people play. Again the max temp (C) that can be handled by my CPU is 71.4C, it can get to 75C.

Also any idea what Temp 1-3 are?

Back
Top Bottom